Clark's Crabapple

@hambone

It wont be one you regret having. It bears early, ripens late and keeps late , plus tastes great. It’s a survivalist apple because it’s what you need to stay alive. Originally it was one of the ones i grew for cider. It is the best for all the reasons mentioned. In my area you might be picking them in the snow some years.

6 Likes

We’re going to find out if it can survive central MN winters

4 Likes

and northern Maine winters. :wink:

5 Likes

@smsmith @steveb4

They can likely handle pretty cold weather. The seeds came from cold wild apple country. Gathering wild apple seeds to grow is way more important than anyone realizes.

2 Likes

@krismoriah

Yes every bee in town will be at the blossom buffet it flowers very heavy. Would guess someone will plant or graft these to fill their freezer with deer meat.

5 Likes

That looks like a great crabapple you’ve grown. I will definitely be looking to add it to my collection in the future. Unfortunately it looks like I’m a little late in ordering scions from 39th. If anyone that reads this has any scions available for this spring please contact me.

3 Likes

Any scion remaining from anyone? 39th is out

2 Likes

Hi…I am looking forward to growing this apple. I ordered and received a tree from 39th.

3 Likes

@roth2000 @Jujube

Did you try to contact @39thparallel directly with an inquiry for the crabapple? There may be others who still have some in the trading post section on the forum. .https://growingfruit.org/c/trading-post/7

4 Likes

Dang… now I want this apple. What beautiful clusters… As nice as it is to have a big apple, a small one doesnt require a knife and wont dislocate your jaw when trying to eat. It would compliment my pixie crunch well too.

6 Likes

looked through this thread and felt the same way! 39th are out of stock so I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled on the trade section.

3 Likes

Would send @39thparallel a message or post to the trading post lots of people have this apple that are not posting. Im not sure it sounds like Mike may be out as well. Have no scions to send out myself. Would love to see someone take these wild f1 apples and improve the variety. Ran out of strength before i got it done. My guess would be at least half its offspring will cluster apples just like the parent tree. This is a very dominant trait in these apples.

6 Likes

Add me to the list looking for Clark’s Crabapple scions

2 Likes

I walked the orchard today and checked on the 3 Clark’s Crab I transplanted this fall. Unfortunately, I don’t intend to prune them at all this winter.

2 Likes

Am grafting Clark’s crab in March. Would Chestnut Crab be just more of the same or does it taste a lot different and be worth adding too? CC is August, right?

2 Likes

I see 39th has bare root trees available

3 Likes

I will check, but I should have some scions of this one if Mike and Clark are out. I don’t want to cut in on his business though, I like buying trees from him.

4 Likes

@hambone

Chestnut , wickson , dolgo etc. are all very different from this one.

@ctduckhunter

i’ve got no scions of it available. How are your trees doing?

3 Likes

@clarkinks I haven’t checked them for about a month, but they looked great going into winter. I would hate to think of how many hours I spent watering them this summer. The KS drought was rough and the wind and wildfires were very real. A huge wildfire missed me by a couple miles.

2 Likes

@ctduckhunter

I’ve started keeping my grass very short during the droughts. We had a fire burned equipment and hay up a few years ago when a womans trash fire got out of control. Glad it missed my house.

3 Likes