Clark's Crabapple

@clarkinks I do the same thing. I keep the grass real short mainly to keep fire damage at a minimum. I didn’t have to mow much this last year though, not enough rain to make the grass grow. I do know that I would much rather mow every week though than haul water to trees.

2 Likes

In 2015 my intentions were still to grow some great seedlings for cider. 8 years later it is strange to see how things changed. Many of my seedling apples from my old project would not be available to everyone if not for @39thparallel mass propagating them.

2 Likes

My mom wanted a larger sized apple bearing crab and this one fits the bill.
There are other larger ones for canning and such, but dont know specifically which types they are.
I have 4 unkempt large golden delicious Im going to convert soon leaving a few branches and would like something bulletproof like this crab. I would definitely keep the seeds, plant then, see what comes…

3 Likes

Got me. I’m a crab lover. Just ordered trees from 39th Parallel. Deer are going to love me. Will plant one here in Salem, OR and one at the Riverbend in northern MT.

2 Likes

It would be interesting to have this crab’s DNA tested. With the bunching/clustering habit, it would seem likely there’s some ornamental crab genes in there somewhere.

5 Likes

@JesseinMaine @roth2000 @Jujube
@resonanteye @smsmith @abqspeachless

@39thparallel has scion and trees on his website.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update. Last time I looked he didn’t show any scions available.

2 Likes

Yup, I ordered a stick a month ago or so.

2 Likes

The shipping costs are keeping me from pulling the trigger so far. $45 and $65 are my options.

The sad thing is that those are honest prices… If i order two trees then the shipper will make as much money as he does.

Something needs to be done about this i think. There needs to be an option with the USPS to ship for Plant Material.

I plugged in a calculation of a box 30X12X12 from his nursery to my house by USPS.

Priority Mail $82
USPS Ground $78

Media Mail- $6.17

With all thats going on with the environment and all the buzz about making things more green… how are books and papers more important than trees? Books and papers are made from trees.

Can we get the attention of the USPS to help us make the environment better?

The USPS is recycling oil and putting mail carriers on bicycles to help the environment… and are fully aware of greenhouse gas emissions as stated in their Environmental Impact Statement.

I think we or someone should take this to the next level.

3 Likes

39th Parallel shipping charge to my location for 3 scions is listed as $7. That’s the lowest shipping charge I’m paying for scion shipping from 4 vendors this year.

5 Likes

As I said his prices are fully honest. The disparity in the shipping of a tree that is 30 inches tall is the intention of my post.

4 Likes

I noticed that not long ago too. I’m guessing some more sticks were added to inventory thanks to expressed interest :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Got mine on order. I hope it holds up to our winter weather.

4 Likes

If it survives here, it should be good for wildlife as well as for humans.

3 Likes

Let me know how it does up there! If it survives our MN winters I may get one as well (although I am rapidly running out of room on my .5 acre lot).

5 Likes

39th added more scions - 13 in stock after i ordered mine. Very interesting looking tree Clark, i’m excited to have it… Thanks 39th for adding more scions.

5 Likes

Just graft a stick to an existing tree if you run out of space

3 Likes

im giving it a try as well. crabs are usually very hardy. many to z2. hoping Clarks is the same.

4 Likes

That’s the plan! However, after the rabbits killed all 4 of my current apple trees, I will have to wait until the replacements coming in April get bigger.

3 Likes

Dont give up on your trees yet. Just cut them off below the girdling. You may be surprised how much new growth they push next year

2 Likes