Clark's Small Yellow Pear

Clark, Sorry your pear didnt work out this year. Im sure you’ll eat plenty of pears this season:) what do you suspect was the factor?

1 Like

@noogy

It was the weather lots of fruit wasn’t as good as normal.

2 Likes

Here’s one of my Clark’s little yellow grafts. It is on the north side of a tree on a lower branch, so the growth in one year was pretty good.

5 Likes

@Sparty

It is taking off!

@clarkinks

Did you ever determine the parentage of small yellow pear? Is it an OH rootstock? How is the search going?

Thanks

1 Like

@rubus_chief

Highly unlikely i will ever know for sure but i do think its a relative of a canadian pear breeding program Canadian Pears Enie, Menie, Miney, Moe, Phileson, Sauvignac,

3 Likes

Anyone have flowers this year?

No blooms this year. The limbs looks healthy.

1 Like

Clark
I am contemplating removing it!! This is year 4 or 5 still no sign if production.

Other varieties grafted a year or two later have already fruited. I am not very patient.

1 Like

Let me know if you see fruit buds on the tree soon. The tree tends to fruit heavily on the tips of the branches. These photos show clearly the difference between the fat fruit buds and vegetative buds. The buds are inconspicuous unless your looking for them similar to maxine , potomac, magness, or warren. Tomorrow is April 1st 2023 and you can see the buds swelling.

@mamuang
When you taste it at it’s best you will know why you kept it. It will be the best pear you ever ate on a good year. On a bad year it will be the worst pear you ever tried. I nearly top worked it myself once.
@Barkslip
I’m hoping you see lots of flower buds very soon.
@marknmt
It is to early for buds to be swelling there yet though you might see some blooms soon.

2 Likes

The trees spur up alot as they age. This is one of my trees

5 Likes

My threat to remove it seems to work. I scare it to produce. :smile:
I saw 4 flower buds on one branch. Other branches still don’t have flower buds.

Not sure if it will set fruit. It is grafted on the same tree as Magness which has several flower buds.

1 Like

@mamuang

Better use a paint brush on both sets of blooms since magness has sterile pollen. Congratulations on flowers i hope you get fruit! The fruit is normally not good the first year but your location is different so they might be wonderful.

Thanks for a reminder re. Magness’ pollen. I have many pear varieties in that same vicinity.

1 Like

@mamuang

Wonder if anyone beside you and @Barkslip will get flowers this year? Pretty sure Dax will have loads of fruit.

Today is April 21st it is in full bloom

9 Likes

Still blooming even today after 12 days. Fruitlets on it are looking good. These are the last few bloom clusters.

5 Likes

These trees are loaded! Anyone else have fruit this year? Love this variety when conditions are good!

I’m growing two of them, but I think they are years away from fruiting.

1 Like

My wife grafted this one. I’m not about to tell her how good a job she did. Look at that W&T seam I just unwrapped!

6 Likes