Cold weather & pear fruit on the trees

My pear trees are still loaded with pear fruit. Some are asking can they handle the 32 degrees expected? Pears can easily handle those cold temperatures and actually make the fruit taste better. Douglas is one of the pears to bloom first in the spring frequently losing its blossoms to cold weather and its also still on the tree this year. Duchess D’ Angoulme and Kieffer are also still holding on the trees. Its a good thing i dont grow any really late pears because winter does not seem to want to wait this year. I’m not going to start a new thread Strange weather - Will it get our blooms and fruit? because in recent years strange weather is the new normal. It started in my area around 2016. Its still possible to grow pears but i feel nature has upped the stakes a little. We were exceedingly blessed with an abundant crop in 2019.

1 Like

We are dipping down to 35 degrees one night this week which is unusual for October 7th.

1 Like

went to a buddies orchard to get some apples for sauce. he also has a pear which until recently there weren’t any cold hardy varieties for here. which makes this tree a curiosity as its 25 yrs. old. he doesn’t know the name of it but this 15ft. tree conservatively has a couple hundred pears on it that are about 2-2.5in. they have been hit by 4 frosts but are still a little astringent but flavor is good. this tree has never been pruned or sprayed. thinking of cutting some scions to graft onto my mtn. ash and other pears. i bet with a good pruning the fruit would be much bigger on his tree. they have a bright green skin with a red blush and some russeting.

1 Like