Combatting brown rot

Sorry to see that. My current program is to spray Indar and/or Elevate in every tank, so perhaps double how many you did. This year I stopped spraying in early June and a few things rotted (Laroda plum in particular) but most things were pretty good. If some of your sprays had no brown rot control in them I would put it in for next year. Or just do a couple sprays only for brown rot. I usually do more later sprays, something like one a month through the summer, and with that I don’t get any rot at all. The problem I have is it is really hot. This summer on top of that was all the depressing cicada damage to look at plus all the fruit swiped by animals. More pleasant to stay inside with the A/C.

2 Likes

I had Indar in all 3 sprays after petal fall before bagging. Due to relentless rain we have, that was not enough.

I will not bag next year and will add one or two more fungicide by the summer.

2 Likes

For my customers except for a handful wanting pristine fruit, I applied only a single summer Indar-Captan spray (with Tactic sticker) July 7-8 and no one has had a big problem with brown rot beyond my having to do a couple of spot sprays on later ripening nectarines. I include Indar in my 2nd spring insecticide spray and not any others- before that I use Myclo. I’m just getting thanks for the wonderful peach crop most have been bringing in. Obviously, local conditions have been better here than further into New England. Brown rot pressure is higher on my own property because I’m in a hollow than for most of my customers.

The money spent on squirrel baffles this season was probably mostly wasted. There just aren’t enough of them to be a problem, and the coon pop is way down also.

All in all, a bumper crop year.

1 Like

My stone fruit days are just about over. Removing all but my favorites and creating franken trees. When 50% without rot is a bumper crop it is just not worth it. Replacing with persimmons and pears as we speak.

Tippy,

How old is your Indar bottle? I wonder if it could have degraded over the years, and the actual active ingredient concentration in it is not enough? Also, are you storing it in your garage? The hot temperature in the garage could cause it to degrade faster.

I stored Indar in a better condition than I store my food :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

My Indar is the same age as @scottfsmith ’s. This year is an exceptionally wet year.

1 Like

Mamunang,
You didn’t say if you use a sticker. I always do with Indar and it works like magic. The sticker will help you through the rain.

I’ve used Nufilm 17.

The rainfall amount here broke 100 year record of the county in July. It rain through August into Sept.

My grass never has a chance to turn brown.
My pawpaws look their best as they love water.

Unfortunately, Fungus and molds are happy and growing extremely well, too.

I’ve generally found surplus rain to be very bad for moods :wink:

Took me a moment to realize you meant molds. Fungus covers it, of course.

Yes, both molds and mood :grin: