Common fruit that others like but you don't!

Dont hate me, but i dont like cherries, apricots and peachs. Maybe i’ll like home grown best cultivars, wait & see

2 Likes

have met people like you.
i, too, can sometimes detect benzaldehyde in conventional stone fruits(especially the flesh near the pit), but not as much as other people.
Also, i have yet to taste it in apricots.

it is possible that both of you are capable of detecting benzaldehyde(or other substances, including hydrogen cyanide) even in the slightest amounts. Could be your ‘survival genes’ manifested in full-force to make you shun benzaldehyde and cyanide even in small amounts.

4 Likes

Maybe you don’t care for sub-acid fruits. Entirely common in some cultures.

I seem to be an exception among my peers from mediteranean or temperate France …

Dont like red or black currants too. Half plums i’ve tasted too.

It’s not a surprise i tend to be heavily interested in uncommon fruits :slight_smile:

1 Like

interesting avatar selection for someone who doesn’t like cherries :wink:

4 Likes

nicollas avatar possibly a goumi or some other elaeagnus.

1 Like

Yes it’s a goumi :slight_smile:

3 Likes

touché :smile:

I guess now that I look at it closer that makes sense. from my phone I couldn’t see the little dots. Thats a fruit I’ve never tried.

1 Like

@jujubemulberry,
My husband has cut me off, no new trees. But if I ever give up on my starfruit I’ll check in with you :). Do you have favorite varieties?

I keep trying them from the local Ranch 99 and North Park Produce stores. Probably not the best representation but they seem crisp/hard. I’ve also bought the dried ones and while interesting, they weren’t something I’d be likely to buy again.

1 Like

have we already visited the opposite topic (TLDR), fruits that no one likes but i do? I am the only one in my extended family who likes persimmons. That is a 1 in 50, and that one could eat several a day.

used to grow starfruit in the tropics, and while it is a good fruit tree to have, personally would prefer to grow a juju tree over starfruit in a heart beat, if were to choose between the two. Wouldn’t blame you for keeping your starfruit, though, as a good starfruit is quite refreshing, and also attractive when sliced up for salads.

if you do change your mind, and if you might have some room, for san diego it would be easy to ‘contain’ a juju tree at 8’x8’ piece of land with strategic pruning.

you may even grow them like tomatoes with severe strategic pruning.

lots! the mediocre jujus which you got to try from asian stores are probably that of the cultivar li(one of our favorites), but when growing them in dry and warm so cal(as with las vegas), fruits are big on first crops, but awful in taste and texture. It would be best to prevent them from producing mature fruits until october or even november. In warm regions, fruit quality radically improves with many jujus with ‘delayed gratification’. If you are not big on pruning, you could grow honey jar and other jujus which don’t seem to be affected by heat, even when ripened at 115F.

At any rate, just say when :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Acosnow
Where we live there are hundreds of pawpaws growing naturally among the hardwoods in the hollows along the creek. And I have yet to taste a ripe one… raccoons eat them all before they ripen. I’ve been considering planting a couple of pawpaws close to the house where we might defend the ripening fruit and enjoy the handsome foliage. But after your post, maybe I can put that on the low priority list. Thanks! Makes room for the next unlikely mission (try enough of those and eventually one works).

1 Like

Counter to expectations, I don’t think I really like Pomegranate. They aren’t worth the hassle, generally not sweet enough, the seeds are annoying and don’t care for the overall texture.

3 Likes

I can understand that :slight_smile:

In my experience, Eversweet has such tiny, soft seeds that many people believe they are seedless.

my guesstimate is that 9 out of 10 pomegranates being sold in grocery stores are not at their peak., and won’t be sweet but more sour with thin arils, and the acrid seeds surely make the experience annoying.
Case in point-- the “cultivar wonderful”. A “wonderful” pomegranate that has been picked at its prime, however, is actually very sweet with thick juicy arils and may be worth the mess and worth the occasional bitten seeds.
find it in the league of longkong and certain guavas, where the discomfort of accidentally biting the seeds(and swallowing the seeds) is negligible relative to the overall experience. Actually have learned to eat them and maneuver them between my molars to bite through the pulp but not crush the seeds. And simply just swallow the seeds uneventfully :slight_smile:

forgot to add a little tidbit about guava seeds-- one should intentionally crush the seeds to benefit from the otherwise inaccessible omega 3’s within.

That cultivar was bred and selected as a juicing pomegranate.

quite juicy that one

This is my first sizeable pomegranate harvest with a bunch of fruits from different varieties. One thing I’ve learned is that the ripeness level makes a lot of difference. In pomegranates, ripeness is not easy to estimate without experience, but if you can try fruits from the same variety over a period of several weeks you will see that the aril size, level of sugars, and complexity of flavor all increase with ripeness, and when the fruit is at its peak the eating quality dramatically improves. Another thing is the variation of flavor between different cultivars, this includes the acidity level (most notably) as well as more subtle variations in taste profile that are difficult to describe. Finally, there are varieties with very soft seeds, and these fruits provide a much improved eating experience in terms of texture.

2 Likes