Common fruit that others like but you don't!

almost like assessing green coconuts when without knowledge of number of months since flowering. You do the tapping or thumping approach, but often it isn’t more than mere estimates. Only difference is that with coconuts, the eating quality (when the fruits reach a certain size )isn’t too bad when harvested too soon, since you simply end up with little meat. With pomegranates, the fruits can be a curse when harvested too soon…

i agree. And yes, i am compelled to go out of my way to convince folks who may have found pomegranates too much of a chore to reconsider their stance. And proposing soft-seeded varieties may just do the trick! If only supermarkets would offer those more often…

Not much of an incentive if you don’t care for their taste but both of these options make processing them much easier!

That article confuses arils with seeds.

True, they feature more helpful “household” tips. I eat the arils and seeds together, just liked away to get them out faster and not cover every surface of the kitchen in juice splatters :):wink:

At one time I had about 30 varieties of pomegranates. That number is now way down. Other than juicing them, which is delicious, there’s not much to do with them.

1 Like

I always wonder what I’m gonna do with my Pomegranates while I easily munch on other fruits. Then comes fall and there’s no other ripe fruit in my yard. I’m eating all the pomegranates now. It also spurs me that my little one likes it so much!

2 Likes

Aren’t guava seeds like rocks?

1 Like

My pomegranate experience is with grocery store fruit. I can imagine them being worthwhile, especially the juice, but they aren’t easily grown where I live. Or I should say, they aren’t easily fruited.

1 Like

BD,

Do you grow any figs. You can grow some late season figs like Black Madeira to extend your harvest season.

Tony

Fig season is much earlier here in CA. Main crop starts in mid-July and even the latest varieties are done by mid-September. Sometimes we would have a “third crop” (after breba and main crop) in October, but it’s small and not reliable.

I’ve got lots of figs that keep setting figs as long as they keep growing. Keep them growing until August 1 and there is no shortage of late figs.

I’m still producing and eating figs.

yes, unfortunately.
so only for those with strong molars…

I cannot control my climate conditions as you do in your GH. By August 1 my figs are in the full production mode.

I would have an occasional fig or two a day in October, but it’s nothing like the main harvest in August:

Our climates are pretty different, Vinod’s is much more similar to mine.

2 Likes

Yes, yours is more typical of central California.

Don’t have much control in summer. Just keep it as cool as possible.

You could keep your figs growing until August 1. If they keep setting fruit until August 1 you should still have ripe fruit now.

I do not like pears. Way too gritty for me. My family likes them but I do not.

I had some hedgerow apples (got some scions grafted onto my trees!) and some hachiya persimmons that were both delightful prior to drying. I thought of my past experiences with some pears and expected the apples and persimmons to turn into concentrated bundles of joy. Not so. Both seemed to take large steps back regarding depth and complexity of flavor. So my ‘dislike’ is some things dried. I’m going to keep at it though because some things are enhanced. My mission is to find out which is which.

Tom Burford’s book (Apples of North America) has a list in the back of apples that he considers especially good for drying. Might be one place to start.

I like dried apples quite a lot myself and look forward to trying that with some home-grown ones down the road.

2 Likes

Mike,
I tried several Euro pears recently. None were gritty. I think you will change your mind if you eat them, sweet, smooth and often aromatic.

I talked about it on a thread called Some Picutures of European Pears for You.
It is in the Picture categry. Don’t want you to miss out on really good, smooth, sweet pears. You can start with growing Harrow Sweet.

2 Likes