Concord seedless grape vines

How does concord seedless grape vines preform are these seedless.

1 Like

@clarkinks has posted a few things about seedless concord. Here is one link Concord seedless like concord should be renamed reliable!

I ordered a few Everest vines this year which is a brand new large, seedless concord-type that sounds promising. I just planted them this year and they seem to be doing fine. I bought one from Double A vineyard, one from Gurneys and one from Schlabachs. They are a little hard to find right now bit I think you will be able to get them from Double A this fall if you order early. Everest Seedless Grape - new from Cornell

2 Likes

Double A is the only permitted commercial propagator of Everest so it’s likely those retail outfits are getting it from Double A anyway, fyi.

2 Likes

@Grape-2006 Answering your question, they have been great for me and bear quite well… but I have not had any luck with them being seedless though. I bought these from Gurneys and they told me that to much heat will cause it to produce seeds anyways. We have had some mild summers here and they still have seeds, so I guess that the seedless part didn’t work out well for me. They are still great tasting and fun to grow though!

How do you like the Everest grapes? I’m thinking about planting them. On the Mason Dixon line so the climate should be good for them.

@tv051 —> I just got to try a handful last year. The vine seems healthy. The Everest grapes were good sized and seedless, but still slipskin. I thought maybe the flavor was not quite as strong as Concord, but very close. I might have picked them a little early, though. I’m planting a few more Everest vines this year in a different location.

Tasty and reliable, but not actually seedless in my experience. Also, it doesn’t ripen in bunches, so you have to pick them individually, which can become annoying even with 1 vine because of how productive it is.

I bought mine 15 years ago or so… Starks best I can remember. Seedless Concord.

Mine ripen slowly over a long period… have to pick individual ripe grapes from the clusters as they ripen. Very intense… good flavor. Productive but smaller grapes.

If I don’t bag them the birds will get way more than I do.

Mine are truly seedless… no sign of seeds in them.

I have seen others post pics of concord grapes here… that looked a little different than mine… color wise… perhaps they were seeded and they are a little different ? Or who knows… mine could have been mislabeled.

@Grape-2006 The question about them being seedless depends how nice your location is to grapes. In Kansas they are not seedless they have seeds but in California yes they would be seedless. In Kansas you get 2 crops one very small crop slightly later (2-4 weeks) than the larger main crop. They don’t ripen at the same time but there are large quantities that ripen everyday. You might be asking why I bring this up which is because you can’t just clip off the whole bunch at once and call it harvested. We got to pick those grapes one at a time. That is much more work. You may wonder why anyone would grow them? They are productive, disease resistant, long lived, good flavored. Mine are growing 100% organic which you cannot do here with grapes like red Canadice that truly are seedless. Black rot is not an issue with these as long as you don’t grow them around grapes like red canadice that seem to be a black rot magnet.

I have a lot of Labrusca grapes, but no seedless Concord. Now I think I’d like to plant one. Seems like a good grape to have in the backyard.

1 Like

If you want a real seedless with Concord-like, but much better flavor, try Everest Seedless. It’s a tetraploid stenospermocarpic seedless, recently released by Cornell. Seedless “Concord” (which has nothing to do with Concord), is a parthenocarpic seedless labrusca-vinifera hybrid, so will sometimes have seeds under certain conditions.

2 Likes

Picked up 3 Concord Seedless at Walmart yesterday. They put up a big display that had these and Vanessa. Also had blackberries, raspberries and strawberries.

They were $6.98/cane.

1 Like

Flavor is not just genetics its also how that grapes genetics react to your soil and the specific climate on the specific year in which it was grown. There will never be another year where the grapes will taste exactly like they do in 2022. Every year is different and unique which is why types of wine grapes are so important and wine growers are so specific. Price is not always relevant an exceptional grape year the cheapest and best wines are both good Bordeaux Vintage Chart 1959 to Today, Vintage Rankings Characteristics . The same goes with juice. Grapes last year were exceptional. The juice captured the flavor as it was meant to be. I’m not a big wine drinker but certainly appreciate a good wine when I rarely have it. Primarily I’m more focused on eating the fruit fresh or enjoying it as juice.

2 Likes