Could use some help picking out 2 dozen apple trees from this list

My short list would be
Northern spy
Gold rush
King David
Ashmead
Johnagold

2 Likes

Planting these new apples today. Waited awhile to pick these up and plant them. This is a new orchard which required soil enrichment and time to prepare for planting. The original soil is sandy clay loam. The soil was difficult stuff to work with but it will grow trees now. By the time I mowed off the weeds from the manure and wood chips I added I burned up two years on this project and had not planted a single tree.

6 Likes

How are these 24 apples you planted in 2017 doing Clark? Great read above.

4 Likes

Jerry I know this is an old post, but that really struck a cord with me because there was someone up here in Shingletown that had a log cabin that I admired and a good location to grow vegetables and he grew the best vegetables.

We’ve only been here a little over two years And I think he was up here about 4 to 5, but he recently sold his little cabin in property to a winery who is going to grow grapes.

It really bummed me out, because I really appreciated his vegetables and he had the best onions! A nice variety too. I’d much rather have his vegetables than a winery nearby. :frowning:

2 Likes

@zazlev

My seedlings, haralson, prarie spy, 39th parallel, honeycrisp, and snow aka Fameuse do the best here. In Kansas or other country to tough to grow apples should be all growing clarks crab apple. The reason i grew those seedlings is because this country was to tough to grow normal apples Clark's Crabapple

2 Likes