Craven's Craving" fig tree from the Point Loma neighborhood of San Diego

Just managed to get 2 cuttings of CC. Looking forward to rooting them and am going to maybe graft one onto a larger black mission. Trying to decide between this and reservoir fig on the graft.

2 Likes

Grafting is actually a great idea for rare stuff like this… Stretch those cuttings farther!

2 Likes

especially here in Zone 10 where in theory figs shouldn’t die down because of winter. Honestly I had never even thought of that problem (I know!) until someone sending me some fig cuttings was like they don’t graft since many/most of their figs can die down to the ground in the winter and then sprout up again so then they would just have the rootstock.

2 Likes

Other names for CC are Black Madeira, Figo Preto, Madeira Island Black, and Violeta. Same fig, different names.

Easy and cheap to get under their other names.

4 Likes

Did not know that. Though I couldn’t easily find Black Madeira either. Good to know. I got these 2 cuttings for $15 each.

2 Likes

When you say Violeta, not VdB right? That’s different?

1 Like

Yes, different. VdB is Violette de Bordeaux.

2 Likes

Ram, I can’t remember if Richard or anyone else confirmed these are all the same through genetic tests?

1 Like

I am not sure. @Richard

Many growers have grown them side by side and their conclusions are that they are so similar that it doesn’t matter one vs one of the others.

3 Likes

I believe the figs are the same for the most part. CC is from the Azores, which is close to Madeira, both in Portugal. It seems to have less fmv symptoms though than Black Madeira. Grows like a beast.

4 Likes