Dates (yes from palm) how to get them firmer

I admit this isn’t a fruit growing question on my part, but perhaps others are growing them.

Barhi dates may be my favorite, when they are brown and chewy, not crisp and fresh, or in between. Last year from one source I got the most delicious, chewy caramel texture.

This years crop have the same great flavor, but are super soft. I find it off-putting. I want the chewy taffy/caramel texture from last year.

Is that just how they turned out this year, or can I get them chewier, instead of spreadably soft? Is it a matter of moisture content? I’ve contemplated putting them in the food dehydrator, but haven’t gotten around to pulling it from the storage shed yet. I figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask.

3 Likes

yes, dehydrating them further will make them more chewy. Much like how molasses is made.
Dehydration past molasses-consistency would lead to crystallization, often transforming the dates into sweet lozenges.

if you see dried dates being sold at half-price, they are likely to be close to crystallizing into rock sugar. Still edible, of course, but may crack a tooth.

6 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement. It makes sense. Next time I’m out to the shed I’ll bring in the dehydrator.

2 Likes

@murky

That is a problem for everyone i think that you described. Always order a years supply at a time during date season when they are cheaper. They are to soft in the beginning and do get firmer by the time they are all consumed.

1 Like

I don’t have room to store them.

2 Likes

I guess I’m not the brix junkie I’m sometimes accused of because dates are too much sugar and not enough of anything else for me. Anymore figs are almost too sweet. I may start growing less sweet fruits. One by watering more and two by switching fruits. OK, no on the later :blush: :blush: :blush:

3 Likes

You should try more premium date varieties at the Rutab snd soft Tamr stages. If you find Rutab Medjools, stuff them with walnuts (in place of the pit) and you will be eating a great treat! The walnut balances the sugar and to me these are better than any cake, Nutella or chocolate. Of course the flavor is not like Honey Blaze, but dates are a completely different treat, and with good storage are available year round. To me, dates are the perfect healthy substitute for cakes and chocolate, and I love to eat them beside coffee, tea or milk.

2 Likes

With all of the 30+ brix stone fruit you grow, your palate is spoiled!

One of the “anything else” for me is the texture, hence the post :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I bought a variety online this year and some were too soft. I bought some Deglet Noor at Costco, at a very good price, but they were too dry so I think the mid point if best. I keep them refrigerated and I think the high sugar content will keep them good for a long time.
The popular Medjool is not my favorite. A little too soft and sweet. I prefer Khadrawy and Halawy.

1 Like

The are very sweet but there is some variation with variety. Deglet Noor doesn’t taste as sweet to me as others. From a health view dates are high in fiber that calms the jolt of the sugar.

1 Like

As far as I understand, the texture indeed depends on the moisture content. Some sellers offer a choice between moist (harvested at an earlier stage of ripeness) and dry (harvested at a later stage of ripeness). Their “dry” usually means chewy, not hard.

1 Like

There are many types of dates i discussed in this thread. Some of which are softer or more sugary than others Bulk Fruit, Spices, sweets & Nuts

i actually like deglet noor best because of the same reason. To me, many of the most common dates sold are cloyingly sweet. To me the uber-sweet dates are better eaten as fresh fruit and not as dried dates.

Well I got out the dehydrator and succeeded in making the flesh firmer and more palatable. Unfortunately, I also made the skins crispy and hard. Maybe I left them too long, or had a bad combination of temperatures and time.

I assume lower temperature would be less likely to do that. I think I started at 130 and later used a lower temperature. I chose 130F because I know from sous vide cooking, that its around the temperature that eventually pasteurizes rather than ramping up bacterial growth.

2 Likes

I always dehydrate fruit at 113 F. For me, higher temps produce fruit that tastes more “cooked” than “dried”.

2 Likes