Disease Identification Help?

I had some trouble appear after I watered the lawn, since we haven’t had rain in some time.

First is a pluot tree that suddenly lost a lot of leaves.

What happened?

The following is damage on my apple trees. I have no idea what the brown damage is from. The smaller 1 year trees also had some heavily yellowing leaves, as in the third picture.

1 Like

Looks like frog-eye leaf spot on your apple tree. Light tan spots surrounded by a purple halo.

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/blackrot.htm

1 Like

I can’t say about the burnt looking leaves but the chlorosis on the younger apple might be helped by a couple of foliar sprays of seaweed extract and fish emulsion mixed together at the dilution recommended on the packages. No I didn’t dream it up, it was recommended to me by the proprietor of Trees of Antiquity for use on St. Cecilia which in years past was singularly afflicted. The 2 trees we have of that cultivar seem to have outgrown it, although 1 tree has 1 branch that has started to yellow like your photo. Anyway the seaweed/fish mix really helped last year.

1 Like

I have the same issues with some of my apple trees. Especially my Honeycrisp apple tree. It has been an issue with this tree since I planted it in 2013. I have been to three different nurseries and asked them what is was. I got three different answers. My concern was what was causing the leaves to look like yours does in pic #4 and #5. I thought at first it was a nutritional issue. I will try the fish emulsion mixed with the seaweed extract now. Will that make any difference since the leaves/tree is already affected? I did use Bonide Fruit Tree spray this spring and tried to get some additional sprays on at least every 10 -14 days. Perhaps it was the constant random showers we would get during those times between sprayings? If you need to re-apply the sprays after every shower you get then I would think you would damage the tree leaves with possible chemical burn if in fact the other sprays were perhaps not all washed off by the showers.
In fact I just took some pictures of my apple trees leaves last week to post as a question for others to help me figure out what was wrong with them. I did not know how to attach the pictures to my posting so I cancelled my post. Thank you OP for posting your pictures of the exact same issues I am having.

1 Like

Mike, Honeycrisp regularly looks like helll. I don’t mind it as an apple and it is grown well locally on a commercial level but it is not a pretty tree. I am looking forward to Sweet Sixteen it is a beautiful tree which ripens about the same time reportedly. I would say do the best you can and enjoy the apples.

2 Likes

Glad to know it is regularly looks bad. It is the worst looking tree I have in my orchard. I’m glad I only have one tree of it planted. I was about to pull it out and plant something else. My family likes the Honeycrisp apple so that is the only reason I planted one.

1 Like

I can not help with disease identification but I have the same problems. My apricot have similar symptoms. Sometime in June it catches the leaf disease where there are dots on leaves and they look curled and many leaves just fall off the same way. Usually it recovers and grow fine after that the rest of the summer. Also my currants and blueberries have similar lesions on their leaves as on your apple pictures. My apples are not affected. I think it might be some common for many species of plants disease like Botrytis for example.

2 Likes

I am not sure if apricots get peach leaf curl. I have had peach leaf curl and had the leaves fall off. If you do not spray in the fall you will get peach leaf curl the following spring, thus the cycle continues. I had this happen to me the last year and into this spring. I will make sure to spray this fall and next spring as well.

1 Like

I have what appears to be a real pro lem. This is a 5 year old beautiful IEB mulberry. It really started a few months ago just on the bottom and I wasn’t really worried. Now it’s moved way up the tree and looks like it’s been covered with chalk? Any help identifying and possibly a treatment would be very much appreciated. It would be awful to lose this beautiful tree

Can you take some close-up photos of the “chalk”

Yes. I’ll send them in the morning

I am thinking scale . ?

Close up. The one is where I just ran my finger on it. It’s just on the surface. Doesn’t appear to be in the tree. Just on it.

Not certain,from the photos , but I would suspect white peach scale. They are known to be on mulberry.So look that up ,see if it’s a match ?
I think a horticultural oil spray , or canola oil ( ~ 1 table spoon per gallon water + some soap ) spray. Next day spray with water hose to knock off , rinse / repeat . Not on hot days Above 90f
Good luck

1 Like

TY sir. I have stuff like that and will give it a shot.