Do you dislike, enjoy, like, love or adore persimmons?

Hello all!

I just have to admit my unlimited profound and timeless taste for persimmons. Unfortunately I live in a growing zone not amicable to them (to say the least)… So whoever « invented » greenhouses: RESPECT! When my Mohler and Meader will be older I’ll remove them from their « prison » and plant them hoping for the best.

Here we can only put our hands on Spanish persimmons like:

And:

I’m so thrilled that 2 days ago I got my first ever Fire crystal persimmons harvest:

The first 5 persimmons on the left. The 2 (deep orange) persimmons are Fuyu, again from Spain.

I am wondering if people living on the US west coast have access to more varieties? From Asia, maybe?

And for persimmons enthusiasts outside north America where are the sources of your beloved fruits???

Marc

5 Likes

I love them! :yum:

Prazer Luis:

If Spain grows them Lusitania must be growing them too, right? Sooner then later I will set foot in Portugal and steal all the Porto bottles and all the Pasteis de Nata I will be able to put my hands on! We are just having our first snow of the season (as I write this message) For you to enjoy!

13 Likes

Thank’s!
Very beautifull landscape you have!
We grow a lot of persimmons, and we grow them first than Spain. We bring them from Japan like we did with oranges long ago…
Well you can buy pasteis de nata and Porto wine and much as you want… we will have more for us… :grin:

This is my persimmon harvest

17 Likes

I do love persimmons! I prefer the softer hachiya and American varieties to the hard fuyu types. I am the only person in my household who likes them so I don’t buy them often. I seem to only be able to find them at Costco and I can’t eat that many alone! It’s a shame, I tell you. Your red ones in the last picture there are beautiful!

Does a vanilla persimmon taste like vanilla? I’m intrigued

2 Likes

Nope.

I think it’s almost more of a texture thing, sort of like an overripe tomato, that gets me more than anything.

Hi there!

Yes those « red » persimmons look so intriguing… I would sink my teeth in them in a flash if I were to hold one of those « rubies » in my fingers… Extraordinary deep golden orange flesh of a regular fully ripe persimmon is something but « red » flesh??? The color must be something else… Mama Mia I want one!

As for the « vanilla » persimmons: one characteristic of them is their unsual shape (more like an egg or sapodilla). As for me, it’s not really the taste of the flesh as the aroma & fragrance resembling vanilla that comes with the tasting of the flesh. If like me your are extremely found of the aroma of vanilla, then this variety is for you! Marc

2 Likes

Hi there!

Often when people are not very of not at all found of persimmons it’s because they do not really know that persimmons should be eaten « blet » … Like we say in French: Ce qui n’est pas précis n’est pas français. Rough translation: the French language detests imprecise words or more accurately the use of them… So we have this word: blet

Persimmons should be eaten when they are extremely « overly ripe » extremely soft and most people are not ready to wait that long (5/6 weeks before eating them) and believe the fruit should go to compost instead of the mouth… That being said there is also the question of texture of the flesh. Yes, it’s like jelly or over ripe tomatoes and therefore it’s not for everyone. Marc

1 Like

As a kid I loved to take about a 3 foot limber stick and place the wild persimmon on the end of the stick and see how far I could sling it. Oh, we ate a few persimmons but after about a handful it was more fun to see who could sling them the farthest.

1 Like

The jelly like persimmons are excellent dried. That solves the texture issue. I just ordered a Eureka tree this morning. It will go in my greenhouse. Mostly to dry for the grandkids. They appreciate them. My first Eureka was outside. It lasted 15 yrs. But too many sharp freezes took it out over about 5 yrs.

4 Likes

Hi there;

As a kid I loved to take about a 3 foot limber stick and place the wild frog on the end of the stick and see how far I could sling it to our neighbors’s swimming pool. Oh, we ate a few frogs ourselves (after all: we are Frogs, right?) but after about a mouthful it was more fun to see who could eat them the fastest… Marc

2 Likes

2 different textures and 2 different flavor profiles. The first one cannot be compared to a tomato and unfortunately has zero commercial value since it cannot be transported in that state.

5 Likes

Salam:

Is it possible for you to name those two varieties. I have Fire Crystal, Nikita and Prairies dawn and 5 Mohler and 5 Meader but I could add one of two more trees. My only problem? In Canada we have the choice between 10,000 apple varieties (well, I do exagerate a little bit…) but when it comes to persimmons, well… maybe 5. Marc

1 Like

I love them too. As a child I ate American persimmons and didn’t taste the non astringent type until I was pretty old. The jelly texture is as much of a draw to me as the taste of them but I can see how it can put people off. I have picked two of my non astringent Tam Kams this year and it is hard to make myself cut them…it just isn’t right! They are good but nothing like the jelly soft Eurekas. Latest photo of my Eureka. They are still hard.

12 Likes

Always hated them, until someone gave me a huge bag of Giant Fuyu. They were are a perfect stage of ripeness to suit me…then something clicked. Now I love all persimmons…have 5 varieties in the garden.

5 Likes

My mom loves them and I’ve tried a few times.

1 Like

I’m about there with JCT,but with only a few sampled.My attitude may change,if I get to try one of ramv’s Saijos this Winter.I’ve heard they are one of the best,so if that doesn’t do it,they’re probably not for me.

1 Like

Salam Marc,

The first one is Hachiya, it’s astringent and highly prized.

The second one is non astringent apparently, I got them from the store and I couldn’t tell whether they were processed to lose their astringency, most likely not.

1 Like

I will tell you how to love them even more:
Cut ripe persimmons into wedges (about 10 per persimmon). Peal the wedges, and place on a cookie sheet, and stick in the freezer until frozen. Take the cookie sheet out of the freezer and place on a counter top for one minute, and the wedges can be scooped up with a spatula and placed in a Ziplock bag and stuck back in the freezer for use whenever. If you dump some frozen persimmon in a bowl and wait about ten minutes, they will soften enough to be eaten with a spoon. Reminds me of eating orange sherbet…Absolutely delicious! For an extra treat, sprinkle with coconut flakes, perhaps some walnut pieces, and some yogurt. Enjoy!

8 Likes

Which varieties are those two persimmons?