Dragonfruit H. guatemalensis (aka American Beauty)

wondering if these will grow in NE FL…don’t know of anyone who has but it might be worth a try…

1 Like

That looks great! I was away on vacation when mine bloomed, but it looks like I have 4-5 fruits, hopefully they all make it!

3 Likes

Has anyone here successfully fruited these in pots somewhere where they must be brought indoors in the winter?

I really, really want fresh pitaya fruit like I used to eat when I lived in Guatemala. The white dragon fruit I sometimes find in the grocery store is really poor quality, nothing like the amazing purple fruit I remember.

I’ve got a plant I have been growing since last year but it isn’t doing very well and really didn’t seem to appreciate being brought indoors.

Also, are these self fertile or do I need to grow non clonal varieties if I want fruit?

1 Like

They are a vine which in my climate grows best in orchid bark. I know of a few folks growing them in large 1/2 wine barrels with an attached vertical trellis which they wheel indoors in their winter facing the same direction at an open window. They are understory plants and prefer 1/2 day sunlight, morning works best here.

This species is self fertile but hand pollination will guarantee a crop.

2 Likes

Today and tonight

4 Likes

That is beautiful.

2 Likes

I’ve been wanting to grow a couple dragon fruit. Are there any cultivars that do well outside year round in zone 8b, 30 mins north of Houston?

1 Like

Just beginning to open this afternoon…

5 Likes

The blooms continue. Today’s visitors include:
tiny pollen beetles (black dots in main photo),
a tan beetle facing off with a spider mite,
an adult aphid, a knat, a miniscule spider, plus a few ants.

PXL_20220608_235305899~2

3 Likes

5 Likes

This is from my sister’s yard, it’s white inside. I bought the plants, I didn’t have room in my yard, so planted in her yard but in container. She had 8 fruit last year, and my husband didn’t give it any watering stick.
As for taste, I brought some to work, someone said it tasted like ice cream.

2 Likes

Then it is not S. guatemalensis.

2 Likes

I didn’t know what it is, I think I bought it from the farmers market.

1 Like

It appears to be a cultivar of S. undatus. All the members of this genus are vining cactus, not trees. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yeah, I fixed my post. They are cactus.

1 Like

I bought 5 yellow dragon fruits for my children. The fruits are much sweeter than the red ones and they loved them. So I decided to grew out 4 seeds in two pots and placed them next to my West facing window. It has been 2 years now and they grew funky with all the long roots.

Tony

3 Likes

I only recently saw the yellow ones at Sprouts or something like that, but I haven’t tasted one yet.

2 Likes

Twice as tasty as the red ones.

3 Likes

Maybe I buy one and try, but they didn’t look good at all. I don’t buy anything tgat don’t look good. They were wilted if I recall, perhaps they came from Mexico with long transit time.

2 Likes

But don’t eat twice as much at once if you don’t want digestive distress… I agree they taste fantastic.

1 Like