Drippin' Honey Asian Pear

Same Drippin’ honey pear plant, after removing the fireblight section of the whip, now has developed some odd spots on its leaves. Has the darkness of fireblight, but does not appear to be fireblight to me. Odd symmetry with the spots.

Anyone recognize what this disease/pest is?

2 Likes

Pear Disease - Leaf Blight and Fruit Spot (psu.edu)

1 Like

@rossn

Those look like scab.

1 Like

Today is September 17th much later than Drippin Honey normally ripen. This is a small tree in a shaded location. Tossed a few drippin honey in with some Tenn pears and other odds and ends pears i picked today. The fruit is exceptional. It is sugary , sweet, and everything good you expect from asian pears but with some depth normally not tasted in asian pears. Yes i left them on the tree until they were at their peak for fresh eating which means you lose some to windfall and anything hungry. The pear eaters are mostly gone for the year. The predators are hunting the orchard frequently.

11 Likes

Clark-When does Drippin Honey ripen in relation to Korean Giant and others for you. Trying to get a feel for when it would ripen here. Strange there is so little info on DH.

1 Like

@Robert

You will want to read this thread attached. Dripping honey is a july/august pear. Korean Giant is normally a September/ October / November pear but it depends on sunlight and heat to ripen it. Some years september rains and is cooler other years in my area it is a 80 - 90 degree + furnace extending august part of the month. The nice thing is these old threads show precise dates i harvested over years of time.

Lets say you want to see what i was doing back in 2016 here is a record of that

In my area, normally, on average, drippin honey ripens on August 15th. Here is the thread you want for Korean Giant. It is, as you will find out by reading the thread , a temptation to late season stink bugs.

1 Like

The reason I ask is Gurney’s says it ripens in October and I did read those threads. So it’s basically an early asian pear?

1 Like

@Robert

In my zone, Drippin Honey is an early asian pear. That is also the experience of others in nearby zones like @tonyOmahaz5 . It is an exceptional pear.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m grafting it. Since most of my asians are early I’m just going to graft one or two trees of it. Not much in the late asian bracket.

1 Like

Mine ripens after Hosui starts, normally starting the first week of September up here in PA if that gives you an applicable reference. There is some overlap between those 2 though.

2 Likes

I’m in northern VA, so I would guess late august here. Right before or at Shinseiki time here. Thanks.

Oh! I forgot. It starts around the same time as Chojuro but Chojuro finishes up sooner. Drippin Honey seems to have a long ripening window for me where I can pick a few at a time for a few weeks.

2 Likes

On my record, I started to pick at end of August and finished it off around end of September. If you want to store them for a while then you should pick them early( less ripe)

2 Likes

Sounds like they have a long picking window.

1 Like

How is DH fire blight resistance?

@Martin

No fireblight problems here

2 Likes

Never had Firebligt issue on DH here

2 Likes

@clarkinks - can you describe the proper form/pruning for the young drippin’ honey? Based on the pic I saw of your trees, they almost look to be multi-leader… not a typical central or modified leader. I have two (one ground, one container) that will be entering their second leaf, and don’t know what to do with them. Perhaps I should not have spread their branches! Also curious if that one in the container is likely to sprout more branches?

2 Likes

@rossn

What kind of rootstock is it? What do you want the height to be? As an example, this tree is on a central leader until it gets to 5 feet, then i allowed 2 branches. The crotch angles on pears can be very narrow, which can cause breakage in storms.

1 Like

Hi - Rootstock is whatever Gurney’s uses. It is unlisted, however, when I called prior to order, the person I spoke with seemed to think they were OHxF 87.

Height… would be nice to keep the one in-ground to to 8 or 9’, if that is practical. On the shorter side 7-8’ for the 30gal container, would be ideal.

1 Like