Korean Giant Pear 2022

Korean Giant must be a stinkbugs favorite pear. These small trees are getting hammered. They are very delicious but my fruit looks like it’s been through a war. Insect pressure has been off the charts this year! Waves of grasshoppers, june bugs, pc , jb and other insects have moved through these orchards that sit away from the house.

11 Likes

Wow it has an upright habit doesn’t it! Mine grows exactly the same way. I had a problem with fireblight earlier in the summer and took the opportunity to take the whole thing down a notch in size.

5 Likes

LOL!
Well I’m sorry too. But I’ve felt exactly like that before with other fruits and pests.

1 Like

@Rosdonald

It’s the ugliest pear on the property which serves me right. The crotch angles are wrong its a ohxf333 which is not supposed to be under an asian pear. The trees everyone sees are in the front orchards but these i forget even exist. Fireblight might be an excuse to do what i want to that pear.

4 Likes

This is an example of how the fruit of korean Giant should look. Im not suggesting callery is always the best rootstock but in this case it seems to be.

Anyone recognize those scratches was that just a big buck or do we have a scratching post for a big cat? What do you think? All the lower branches were ripped off. The tree looks small but its at least 15 foot.

Let me just say these korean giants blew me away with the perfect fruit and perfect taste. These are choice Korean Giant on this tree.

12 Likes

My Korean Giants are just now getting ripe. The bugs haven’t bothered them too much, but there was a lot of pest pressure this year. The flavor is subtle, but I taste cinnamon, vanilla, and caramel.

8 Likes

My Korean Giant are more like Korean Dwarf this year. From late spring through the summer, we had almost no rain. Many fruit are small.

10 Likes

The real secret to growing good pears in Kansas is the weather! Fall pears usually turn out pretty good! Today is October 1st. My Korean Giant are about perfect as you can see by the photos.

extended

2 Likes

I had some Chojuro and Olympic Giant this morning as I was walking though my orchards. They are so sweet!

3 Likes

@FarmGirl-Z6A

Warm days and cool nights gets that sugar content way up there. The spring and summer fruit we have to battle to keep it.

1 Like

Our high temp has been only in the 50’s for two weeks now. We don’t have enough heat here since Sept started. Apples seem happy with this type of weather.

3 Likes

@mamuang

Yes wow you have great apple weather! These pears take a lot of heat to turn the skins that golden color. Both weather patterns have big advantages! We had an ultra cold fall like that one year my apples tasted so sweet and delicious.

1 Like

Yes, I really don’t remember ours being this golden in years past. They are beautiful this year!

1 Like

@FarmGirl-Z6A

Yes this thread really does show the differences in climate. The Korean Giant is a late pear and particullarly susceptible to weather turning off cooler. We know the weather is why some fruit is so different year to year. @mamuang KG are very good I have had them but she can’t catch a break with the weather this year. She grows the most beautiful fruits and the variety is amazing! Dryer weather has arrived here as well but at a better time so we have been fortunate this year. The weather has caught me here before with this same pear. One year my fingers were numb and i was being pelted with ice as i picked them. Duchess D’ Angolume, Improved Kieffer, Douglas are all still hanging ripening. Last year my Korean Giant mostly rotted because of the stinkbugs. @alan has been very observant about these stink bugs issues which helped me this year to know what to look for. Once i realized they are responsible for the rot spots i focus on killing them if i see them concentrating. It takes 5 minutes when its cool in the mornings to catch the stinkbugs on a tree helpless.

3 Likes

Yeah, the weather turned on a dime and stayed there, didn’t it?

3 Likes

I should not have believed the earlier forecast that we would have a warm autumn. Wrong, again.

Some nights it was so cold (for Sept), I thought it was Nov.

3 Likes

But you haven’t had frost yet, have you? We had gotten used to warm Septs that continue well into Oct but it doesn’t surprise me to have cool days this time of the year. It used to be common- with at least one warm spell we call Indian Summer.

It is still fine weather for ripening late apples.

4 Likes

Not so long ago that we did have Indian summers.My favorite time of the year in many respects.

2 Likes

Yeah, a stretch of warm weather after at least one frost. No annoying insects and beautiful fall color to enjoy in warm weather. I believe global warming is affecting night temps more than day, at least in coastal influenced areas, so even when we have a cold winter the lows don’t come down where they used to.

2 Likes

I saw a recipe online for honey-gingered steamed Asian Pear and decided to try it this evening. Very simple to make and it is supposed to help with respiratory issues (besides being delicious).

3 ingredients - Asian Pear, 1-2 TBSP honey, ginger
Slice top off to make a “lid”. Hollow out center (without making a hole all the way through to the bottom). Pour honey inside. Add chopped or shredded ginger. Put “lid” on. Steam for 20 minutes or until soft (depends on size of fruit). The liquid honey-ginger mixed with pear juice was very good and felt healing.

7 Likes