Drippin' Honey Asian Pear

@Auburn

Notice at the first of the thread mine were originally grapefruit sized but after awhile the trees got bigger and fruit more abundant. They can be thinned and the fruit will be very large again.

1 Like

I have that same microwave! Great unit, only thing I hate is trying to see what’s going on beyond the mirrored tint and the 5 super loud beeps.

1 Like

Woah! Someone who understands the struggles! I wish it was taller too, because I can never see all the way in when trying to center something on the tray. Most smaller plates or bowls just end up off center. It’s very annoying when things aren’t evenly heated on all sides!

Hopefully we’ll have plenty of pears on top of our microwaves this fall. My tree is covered in flower clusters again.

3 Likes

Almost the same microwave, minus the awesome pears. The unit came with our house and our plans were to replace it. We used it a few times and realized it was the best microwave we have ever owned.

4 Likes

I have that exact same microwave. It’s going to get moved down to the basement this week. Not because of any issues. It just made more since to buy 4 appliances instead of 3 since the rebates went from 5% to 10%.

3 Likes

Got Dripping Honey this year. Actually I have 5 on the limbs that look promising. This year it and Harrow Sweet bloomed at almost the same time. Both set a good crop for the amount of bloom spurs available.

1 Like

@Auburn

That’s a good tasting pear your really going to like it. Drippin’ Honey is delayed in fruiting in comparison with many Asian pears.

1 Like

does anyone know what other nursery sells dripping honey healthy tree? my experience with gurney hasnt been the best. hoping to buy elsewhere. thank you!

1 Like

@Seattlefigs

They and henry fields are the only ones who sell it by that name I believe it’s trademarked. They are part of a conglomerate nursery. Patent has been pending many years and likely always will be. Patent pending does not mean patented.

@clarkinks Do we know where this pear came from? Who found it or was it from a breeding program?

1 Like

@PharmerDrewee

This has been discussed many times since the year it came out. They sold it to me for $5 per tree and i started posting pictures 10 or so years ago of it after i had grown it since it was released by gurneys. Noone ever figured out much about it but many thought they knew. Noone has ever figured out why the patented is still pending approval.
https://www.houzz.com/discussions/1439565/drippin-honey-asian-pear . It’s funny this came up as I recognized a username looked it up which ointed to the drippin’ honey thread.

1 Like

my understanding of plant patents is there has to be an application pending within one year of the tree first being sold (or maybe just described) to the public and then expires after 20 years, some fuzziness on the actual start and end date. do you remember the year it came out? eventually even “ppaf” will cease to mean anything because it can’t possibly have an active patent after some time

1 Like

@z0r

In the plant world this is unusually devious as by trademarking the name the name can never be used and by saying the patent is pending applied for you can say the patent never expires whereas normally patents expire after 20 years “Drippin’ Honey™ Pear PPAF”

Drippin Honey LLC

USPTO Trademark & Patent Filings

Trademark applications and grants for Drippin Honey Llc. Drippin Honey Llc has 1 trademark applications. The latest application filed is for “DRIPPIN HONEY”

Company Profile

Company Aliases* Drippin Honey LLC

State Incorporated CALIFORNIA
Entity Type LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY
Address 58 West Portal Ave San Francisco, CALIFORNIA UNITED STATES 94127

Normally patents are filed and granted like this USPP4616P - Pear tree - Google Patents

It’s all been said here before Drippin' Honey Asian Pear
There were threads prior to this one https://www.houzz.com/discussions/1439565/drippin-honey-asian-pear
Was one of the first I knew of to grow drippin’ honey when it first was released. In the above thread I have fruit and that was 8 or more years ago minimum at that time. It took at least 5 -7+ years to get fruit. The rootstocks they used in those days suckered profusely. That kept the trees pretty small and to this day I still trim off root suckers. In those days I felt gurneys deserved the patent but after I think over 20 years I’m not so sure. Fortunately it’s not up to me

3 Likes

Oops, thats the other Asian pear I need besides kosui

1 Like

do you remember the year you bought your tree? It looks like your estimate is 8 years + 5-7 years ago, so 13-15 years ago? is that right?

1 Like

any patents or pending expired in 1999, clone and carry on.

1 Like

That’s very interesting, Clark. Whatever they used as semi-dwarf in 2018 doesn’t sucker and has been fruiting since a year after I planted mine. I wish it had more vigor though. It doesn’t produce much new wood now that it fruits heavily. My tree is about 11-12 feet tall and maybe 8 feet wide after 4 years. I give it a lot of nitrogen, and micros during the spring but that doesn’t seem to do anything.

The tree got badly frosted this year, so maybe a lighter fruit load will bring back more “life” into it.

2 Likes

Looks like Henry Fields website now goes to Gurney’s. Any other places to get Drippin Honey? Bareroot.

1 Like

@DBang

That conglomerate “gardens alive” owns that pear by that name which includes gurneys. The patent is pending so its not patented to my knowledge but it is trademarked. You cannot use that name unless your them.
Gardens Alive! - Wikipedia!

Same Drippin’ honey pear plant, after removing the fireblight section of the whip, now has developed some odd spots on its leaves. Has the darkness of fireblight, but does not appear to be fireblight to me. Odd symmetry with the spots.

Anyone recognize what this disease/pest is?

2 Likes