DWN 2020 Highlights published

Flavor Punch tasted the same as last season for me. I prefer the firm crunch juiciness of Candy Heart as opposed to the softer dryer peach like texture of Flavor Punch.

Oktoberfest taste ranged from excellent to so so. The ones that did not get too soft were better.

2 Likes

@RichSV so what was exact time for you to harvest flavor punch Pluot. Is it very late season fruit. Your areas ahead at least a month + than Seattle areas. If it’s too late in your areas that mean we wouldn’t try to plant here because we have short summer. Thank you for information Rich.

Hi Vincent,

Mine are almost ready. They are sweet and have a very soft texture, no crunch. Not much flavoring punch wise. It tastes sort of like a sweet bland peach. Not my favorite pluerry nor is Sugar Twist or Sweet Treat. Nadia and Candy Heart are by far the best ones.

1 Like

Thank you Rich.
I had the Sweet treat 6 year old but not much fruit, its fruits taste good in rainy areas here so I bought a different tree last Fall much better fruiting. Don’t know why still the same cultivar, maybe the root stock or pollinators or the weather…effect differently to them.
The Candy heart didn’t perform well here. Too wet during blooming time, I removed it however I would like to try to plant one more time on Candy heart it might happen differently like my Sweet treat. I don’t know someone here in my areas Candy heart do well for them? So i didn’t have a chance to taste it yet.
Below the pictures of 2 of my sweet treat. One 6 years old has a few fruits and one just planted last Fall. Thank you again for all information Rich.

1 Like

I got my first Octoberfest peaches this year. Here’s a pic of one I ate almost straight from the tree. I left a few on the counter and after ~3 days, I had one which was juicy and 18 brix. The one from the pic was good, but the one that softened a bit on the counter and ramped up the brix was top notch. Too bad it was my last one, as I lost a lot of fruit to rot. I’m going to thin out the trees around the Octoberfest this winter (removing at least one of them), so hopefully I can get more next year.

I didn’t get any Flavor Punch this year (possibly a late frost), but I did get a few last year. They too were excellent, with 18 brix and lots of kick to them.

The Flavor Punch tree was getting pretty big and I have a couple trees around it that I don’t want impinged upon, so, Flavor Punch got reduced a lot to a V shape of 2 branches. We’ll see if it can produce in that spacing, or if I need to graft/move it somewhere else.

6 Likes