DWN 2020 Highlights published

Fantastic!!! How did you pollinate the Pluerry please?

There are lots of other plum/pluot/pluerry varieties near by. There were at least several bees pollinating the trees, doing their job. Flavor Punch seems to produce fruit right away along with Candy Heart. There are 10 fruit developing on it, they should ripen some time in August according to the back of the tag. I will let you and everyone else know what I think of the taste when they are ripe. Both young trees are doing very well.

2 Likes

Hi Richard, are any of these 2 varieties’ fruits ripe yet?

The fruit has increased in size, no change in color yet. Flavor Punch should be ripe in August, Octoberfest sometime in September or early October according to the tags. They are both late season.

4 Likes

Flavor Punch is changing color. The largest fruit is under 2 inches across.

12 Likes

Still nothing on their website :frowning:

It does not look like they will release any new varieties this year.

1 Like

They have not made any videos in years and it looks like the operation has seen it’s best days.

2 Likes

Their YouTube channel is quite active.

Cool good to see. I have a link to an old fruit tube site, still there, but videos not updated. So I assumed they stopped.

1 Like

They are releasing another hybrid.

1 Like

I’m going to send them a message. Im going to ask them when they are going to release the 2021 highlights.

1 Like

Hi Rich,

What did you think about the Flavor Punch and Oktoberfest, in terms of flavor?

Flavor Punch was not that remarkable flavor and texture wise, kind of like eating a dry peach. It was not very juicy and lacked punch flavoring. It might get better with time. I’ll keep it as a pollinator and graft other varieties to it. The fruit did not meet my expectations.

Oktoberfest also lacked flavoring and juiciness for a peach. It is growing well. I hope it gets better with time.

The best tasting plum cherry hybrids in my opinion are: Candy Heart followed by Nadia. Sweet Treat is a distant third followed by Flavor Punch and Sugar Twist. My friend thought Sugar Twist was terrible. Remember, taste is in the tongue of the beholder.

3 Likes

What a bummer, I planted out both of those to try them out.

How late did the season go with Oktoberfest? I know you had a new tree so the timing in a new environment might be artificial.

I harvested two medium plum sized peaches from the tree late September early October… The tree growth did not seem to be stunted with the fruit on it. You might have a better time with it flavor wise since your late Summer weather is usually warmer than in Nor Cal.

Wow, that is a great point. Peach flavor depends on temperature at the time of ripening, more than other fruits. September in inland San Diego is often 90 degrees. That gives me some reason to hope!

I was surprised to see my Oktoberfest bud swell right now, ahead of my high chill test grafts, and ahead of some of my lower chill late varieties. In other words it seems to be doing pretty well so far, for a test tree.

The one thing I will say for Flavor Punch is my Laroda plum was just okay the first year it fruited and the third year it really was amazing so let’s hope it improves.

I kinda disagree about temperatures. My Indian Free ripens in October here. It is darn right cold here, in the 40’s even. The fruit is fantastic! Many old school peaches require a lot of chilling. Cold temps is not an issue, actually required for proper production.
Indian Free harvested October 12th.

I do agree many fruit require a few years of fruiting to reach their potential.

1 Like

Good to know!

We noticed it in so cal when early heat makes early varieties taste better.

But your observation is a reminder that this wouldn’t necessarily expand to the late part of the year. Maybe early heat = strength for tree to make sugar and by the end of the year that is not an issue.

And cultivars could vary in heat needs.

Hi Rich, how was flavor punch pluot this year? Mine actually tasted very good. Loved it actually. I was surprised.

Oktoberfest peach wasn’t that good but I can’t tell because 100% of them had oriental fruit moth and i had to cut around it.

1 Like