Emerald Beaut Plum

I grafted Burgundy plum on the tree. But Emerald Beaut is even later blooming than Burgundy. The bees seemed to have some compatible pollen left on them to pollinate it I guess.

1 Like

Thank you Ananth. Mine 3 years old never fruiting yet.

1 Like

My EB pretty much bloomed with the pluots this yr. I only have two pluots left, Dapple Supreme and Flavor Treat. That’s what pollinated EB.

Bloom date relative to others can vary depending on chill and heat after chilling. I got a huge fruit set considering the small amount of hand pollination that I did. There were no bees in the greenhouse.

3 Likes

Sorry for such a late reply. I grafted a Broken Heart branch at the top of my EB tree, and nearly every blossom has set fruit. Presumably Elephant Heart would work just as well.

2 Likes

Thank you so much Peter . Hopefully my tree will has fruit this year.

1 Like

When the weather warm enough in Spring why don’t you keep the doors open so bees can come in the green house do their pollinating job for you? Or you should raise the bees nesting in the green house ?

With my greenhouse setup I really can’t leave the doors open and still maintain control of the temperature. On a sunny day in February during pollination it would hit 100F inside. That’s very bad for fruit set.

Honey bees don’t like it in the GH. They just get confused and bounce off the walls until they die. I can buy a hive of bumblebees that lasts about 5 weeks.

3 Likes

That’s very interesting. 100f In winter time. Thank you Steven.

This is first time my Emerald Beaut plum fruiting in Seattle areas after 3rd years of growing . Only about over 10 fruits. It’s proving perform well under natural condition. I will report here about fruits quality at the end of the season .

As a July 20.19

8 Likes

I planted a Emerald Beaut Plum last year. This year it produced 4 pieces of fruits. I bought this plum because it’s a late season plum. By late August and September, it’s pretty much is the only plum left in the farmer’s market in my area. However, the Emerald Beaut I have already start ripening and the shape of the fruit is not the same as the one I’ve seem before. They suppose to elongated oval shape, but mine is more of a spherical shape. After some research, I think I have gotten a mislabeled Emerald Drop Pluot instead Emerald Beaut. Oh well

IMG_5665 IMG_5664 IMG_5663

1 Like

I remember there were few posts about this here, you are not the only one. It should be Emerald Drop

1 Like

Yes, looks very much like Emerald Drop.

This is what Emerald Beaut looks like in my new home. Shape is a bit too round but some are like that.

3 Likes

They’re supposed to be really good. Hopefully you will enjoy them!

1 Like

I’ll have to check mine tonight but I think mine look like yours. I don’t remember mine being elongated. maybe that happens as they mature. I don’t remember where i sourced mine but it is from Dave Wilson. It definitely has the texture of a Pluot. Even if it’s Emerald Drop, I don’t care, it’s an overall excellent tasting fruit and a great way to extend plum harvest.

One thing about mine is that it does get a significant amount of black knot. Not as bad as methley but probably my second worst tree.

It doesn’t do very well in the South. Just about every year late freezes would kill all of the blooms. I finally top grafted mine.

And my Emerald Beaut is in it’s fifth year, and has made a grand total of 6 fruit over that time. It is the fastest growing/most vigorous plum I have. It just doesn’t like to make spurs. I will continue to wait.

I am guessing that’s Emerald Drop too in your new house. When does it gets ripe? The central valley is much warmer, their fruits ripe 2-4 weeks before the coastal regions. So if their Emerald Beaut doesn’t ripe until mid August, which means in cooler coastal regions it won’t ripe until around end of August.

Thanks, I will. I already have Flavor Queen Pluot, which is pretty similar to Emerald Drop. Wanted the Emerald Beaut for the late season ripening.

It’s not Emerald Drop for sure. Fruit is still green and hard.