Emerald Beaut Plum

Does it bloom enough? I have heard this from a few and few others’ trees in the same location have produced well. I am sure you’ve tested this, but just to confirm, have you ruled out the pollination issue? I hear Beauty overlaps with EB on its late blooming season.

It hardly flowers…just a couple of blooms each year. The tree seems to be in its juvenile phase and is having trouble maturing. It is located between a Santa Rosa and a Burgundy, all the same age as EB, and those trees bear very well. The EB is way taller right now than either of the other plums.

1 Like

I have a few grafts of what is suppose to be EB.No fruit yet,after a few years.The flowers also,are noticeably tiny.Not sure if this is a trait with the variety.

It is bloom shy for me too. But the positive is no need to thin. I got the perfect load all well spaced out one year. Can’t complain :wink:

Vinod, I’m afraid you also got Emerald Drop and not Emerald Beaut. Emerald Beaut has elongated shape, while Emerald Drop looks exactly like what you have on your photos. Emerald Drop ripens for me late July to early August, so it should ripen about early-mid August for you, therefore it’s true it should be still green and hard now.

Yeah that was my fear. :frowning:

I am not sure if elongated shape is a defining characteristic for EB. These are from my 1 year trees

Emerald drop:

Emerald Beaut:

Of course, it’s possible mine is mislabeled too. It’s easier to tell after the fruits ripen. Quite yellow for ED and greenish yellow for EB

2 Likes

I am also another of those affected by the labeling error of the Emerald Beaut variety.

I have grafted several years ago , the Emerald Drop pluot and the Emerald Beaut plum

And these are the fruits of both varieties

• Pluot Emerald Drop

• “Supposed” Plum Emerald Beaut (mislabeled, and as you can see they are both the same variety)

Emerld Beaut bad labeled

I had to re-graft the Emerald Beaut plum, and it is this:

• Emerald Beaut Plum (legitimate)

Emerald Beaut Legitimate

A tremendous mistake on the part of the nursery.

Regards
Jose

7 Likes

For me I have Flavor Finale and Fall Fiesta. Here in 6a they ripen in September, even October. I leave them on till the first hard freeze. Finale is excellent, at least it was the first year. I may change my mind.
Fall Fiesta was bland the first year, but I picked them way too early. I have a good crop of both this year.
For whatever reason here my pluots out perform most plums. Always having a good crop. I’m totally sold on them. Now I do have 2 that don’t pollinate well Flavor Supreme, and Flavor Queen. Besides those all others I have tried do well and produce consistently. I did have a year they did not produce, but neither did any other stone fruit. Due to the Vortex one winter. .I also noted that overloaded non thinned pluots tend to produce light the next year. Best to thin very hard.

3 Likes

Hy Drew.
Flavor Finale is delicious (one of my favorites), and if you don’t have Flavor Treat that matures a week or ten days later, you should include it in your collection, since the flavor is very similar to Flavor Finale, but Flavor Treat offers much higher caliber of fruit.
I have the definitive solution for your early flowering pluot pollination problem (including Flavor Supreme and Flavor Queen), but I don’t know if you have this variety in the United States.
Grafts or buy the plum variety :

• Golden Japan

• It is fully compatible in pollination with all early and medium flowering pluots

• It is a hyperproductive variety, so the amount of flowering is immense

• The flowering period is very wide, so that it covers both the very early flowering varieties, as well as the medium flowering varieties

• Advantage: There is no other better pollinator variety than this plum, it has hyper-flowering and hyper-production every year and is resistant to frost.

• Disadvantage: It is a medium size plum, hyperproductive, very sweet, but from my point of view of mediocre quality , and not not freestone.

Not to be confused with Early Golden plum (not the same variety).

If it’s not available in the United States, tell me.

Regards
Jose

4 Likes

From a brief search,it looks like the Golden Japan Plum is mostly available in Europe,although,the subject was brought up by Joe Real,in California,whose friend may have a tree.

I can confirm my Emerald Beaut plum is mislabeled and is actually an Emerald Drop pluot. Here is a picture of the ripe fruit

The color, ripening time and flavor are a dead giveaway. I have to graft it over next season and wait more :frowning: OTOH, this made my wife happy. In her opinion, there is no reason to plant any plum/pluot other than ED :slight_smile: The brix is very high for a fruit from a 1 year old tree which is overwatered and fertilized.

7 Likes

Thanks Udhay for posting the picture. I think mine is emerald drop too. It dropped from the tree after a heavy storm. I am not sure it’s ripe or not but it only has handful of fruits this year so I got taste it. Average sweet and crunch.

3 Likes

Is the skin tart?

My wife eats green gage and mirabelles, but won’t touch most Japanese plums and pluots. She likes just sweet. Persimmons and figs are high on her list.

1 Like

Hi murky.
My God, what a disaster with the Emerald Beaut plum, half of the people in the United States have this illegitimate variety because of a bad labeling of the nursery, and here in Europe more of the same, almost everyone has the Emerald Drop pluot instead of the legitimate Emerald Beaut plum variety.
Catastrophic hahahahahahaha
But we will answer your question , since I have both varieties fruiting for years in my orchard.
I also hate plum varieties with acid-tasting skin (it’s very unpleasant).
Fortunately, both the Emerald Drop pluot and the Emerald Beaut plum do not have that unpleasant acid taste on the skin.
Both are two highly recommended varieties.

Regards
Jose

3 Likes

I didn’t detect any tartness. Of course, I didn’t specifically taste test the area around the skin. Given that this young tree is watered well, I didn’t pick up anything other than sweetness. However, the ones from @fruitfruit’s tree last season had a floral fragrance to it and more complex flavor. Still no tartness

1 Like

Hi everyone. I love seeing your gorgeous photos & hearing your experiences. Thank you for sharing such invaluable info. I have space for one tree & have my heart set on an Emerald Beaut. It needs a pollinator, so I was thinking of planting 2 varieties in 1 hole, with a knee-height head cut. Does Emerald Beaut pollinate Flavor King? I know that the reverse is true, but does it go 2-ways? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum,twcgrl.Since both have some Asian Plum in their makeup,yes,they should help each other,with pollination.
I haven’t looked up their bloom times,but most of my Plums and Pluots,flower about the same period.

I just found this message during a conversation on the Dave Wilson Nursery forum,from one of the administrators,about a pollination question.
At Hickman, CA, Emerald Beaut and Superior begin blooming about 6-7 days after Flavor King begins, so are not ideal pollenizers for FK, but do, typically, overlap the second half of the FK bloom. At Hickman, varieties that usually begin within about two days of FK include Burgundy, Weeping Santa Rosa, Geo Pride, Splash, Flavor Grenade and Flavor Finale.

In a colder climate, i.e. one with less tendency for the alternating warm and cool spells typical of winter/spring in most of California, the Japanese plum/Pluot® bloom season would be more compact, with all varieties tending to bloom closer together.

As usual with relative bloom times, nothing is guaranteed.

4 Likes

Thank you kindly for that answer. Exactly what I needed & will change to 3-in-1 planting spot. Much appreciated.

2 Likes