Emerald Beaut Plum

If yours is mislabeled as mine, @fruitgrower just sent me a bunch of EB scions to graft over my tree. Let me know if you want some.

2 Likes

Thanks @californicus. Iā€™m meeting @Girly to get some other scions too and she has them. If not, Iā€™ll hit you up.

1 Like

I think my Emerald Beauty could be an Emerald Drop, it has flowers now, but we only get 450 chill hours so far.

Hi Jose,
I am having a difficult time finding many pluots and other interspecific hybrids in the EU. Could you recommend a few nurseries (preferably online). Thanks in advance.
All the best,
Alan

Can emerald beaut be grafted to methely or Bruce? If so Iā€™d be interested in buying some Scion from someone. I might be too late thoughā€¦ :man_shrugging:t2:

Iā€™d say, wait until the fruit ripens. The ripening time, shape and flavor are dead giveaways

1 Like

It should work fine. I put EB on my Shiro.

1 Like

I just tasted my first one at a farmerā€™s market in California and now I have to grow one!

2 Likes

Upon further research, I do have a questionā€¦

No nursery in Colorado or Utah carries it and only one in Idaho. It seems to retail in mostly warmer states, though it has a decent number of required chill hours and is listed for zone 6.

https://www.wheretobuy.davewilson.com/home-gardens/where-to-buy/retail-sources/Emerald%20Beaut%20Plum/EMEBE/product-information/product/emerald-beaut-plum/Yes//

Does it require an unusually long ripening season? Any other reason it canā€™t be grown in zone 6?

They are available from an Asian grocery delivery service here, strangely as a green pluot.

They are okay, but were obviously picked way too early. I wish I could have some that were on the tree for a couple more weeks.

This year I obtained Beauty plum scions and grafted them on my trees. After reading this thread, I am wondering if it is a different variety than Emerald Beaut? Does anyone know if there are two distinct varieties, or is one variety being called the two names?
Dennis
Kent, wa

Emerald Beaut is a later Plum and can hang on the tree for a long time and get sweeter.Even in the California heat,Sept/Oct are the harvest months.
Iā€™m unsure about growing in zone 6.

Emerald Beaut and Beauty Plum are two different varieties.Beauty ripens fairly early and the other one late.Beauty can be very red skinned,with soft really juicy flesh,while Emerald Beaut stays mostly crunchy,unless very ripe and reaches a higher sweetness,also late ripening.

2 Likes

Thanks Brady,
It seems that Emerald Beaut would not ripen here then. I do appreciate the distinction and your message.
Dennis

Here in my Eastern Z6 Iā€™ve had one tree die and a graft with crazy cambium scarring. I thought it might give me one fruit this year (my Flavor Supreme did) but alas, it fell off long before ripening. I sincerely doubt it will work well in the east coast- at least as far north as I am.

I am still trying to make pluots work- some get terrible bacterial spot and perhaps other disease problems. I believe Flavor Grenade will work well on favorable sites, but my treeā€™s fruit crack terribly most years and itā€™s a wasp magnet. I grafted it on a clients tree in a slightly warmer location and not only does it bare more consistently but I havenā€™t seen any cracking. Outstanding sweetness which you can enjoy crisp if you like. I like.

It doesnā€™t get sweet while still crunchy, but Spring Satin aprium seems like a winner here to me. Even gave me fruit this year when hardly any plums did. Unlike pluots, you can actually taste both cot and plum in Satin.

My Spring Satin died this year, but I agree everyone on the east coast is having luck with it. Here on the east coast Iā€™ve noticed some plums do excellent, while others just have pretty flowers. Like my freeloaders Santa Rosa and Flavor Supreme.

1 Like

Santa Rosa has actually been reasonably productive for me, but itā€™s not especially hardy and tends to die young in the places rich people build their homes from about 30 miles N. of NYC. My own tree died coming into this season at the age of 10.

Two Japanese plums could hardly be more different from one another than Emerald Beaut and Beauty.

Beauty is red to purple, lots of color, very tart skin. Itā€™s window for fresh eating is short. It goes from hard and sour, to a bag of stringy water in a couple of days. Itā€™s one of the earliest ripening plums. It makes great jam, zingy sweet/tart flavor and beautiful color.

Emerald Beaut is firm and crisp, sweet, not much sour. It ripens late and supposedly hangs on the tree for weeks or months at good eating quality. You can take bites out of it and remove the pit without making a mess. Itā€™s pale. I imagine it wouldnā€™t taste like much if cooked.

2 Likes

Hi Jafar
Do you grow them? Thanks for descriptions!
Dennis

1 Like

I have Beauty. I tried to get Emerald Beaut., but I think the scion was actually Emerald Drop Pluot.

Iā€™ve gotten Emerald Beaut. plums commercially to eat. They were picked too early :frowning:

3 Likes

I tried to see how long my emerald beaut plum fruit will last before it falls down. It last till October 28. It is in a shaded area and get about 4-6 hours of sun. It is potted, 2 years old. Despite the fruit falling down it is still juicy, crunchy, and sweet. I donā€™t have brix refractometer but i would say in the 20ā€™s. The squirrel also ignore this because of its color. I highly recommend this fruit. I am in Sacramento Zone 9b.

7 Likes