Emerald Beaut Plum

After many years trying with failed grafts etc I finally got a few EBs this year. I was impressed! It’s excellent tasting and also much later than other plums so it spreads out the harvest. The flavor profile is also different than any other Asian plum I have. I am going to topwork my Howard Miracle with it this coming spring.

7 Likes

Hi Scott for zone 6-7 do you harvest around Oct-November?

1 Like

I didn’t get enough this year to know the ideal window. They were not ripe in early September but were very good in mid-late September. Maybe early October for the ideal time just guessing.

3 Likes

For what reason are you grafting your Howard Miracle over?

From the posts I’ve read regarding HM, most all say it is an exceptional tasting plum. I planted a small one this year, hopefully it won’t be too long til I get to sample it.

2 Likes

I missed this old question… HM gets some strange core breakdown in my heat. The inner flesh turns brown, not a rot though. It’s too bad as the few plums that didn’t get it were really amazing. It won’t have this in your climate.

3 Likes

That happens in CA on certain apricots. It’s called pit burn. At high heat say 105-115 F it can happen on other stone fruits.

4 Likes

Interesting, I got that brown flesh before on some plums, either “Waneta” or “Tecumseh”. Never knew what it was, hot summer’s here.

1 Like

I am super excited about our Emerald Beaut plum tree. I drove 100 miles each way just to pick one up. It was in a tiny pot and had 4 fruits on it! Two fell off when the pot tipped in a windstorm. The other two ripened on the tree and were great. It is in the ground now, picked it up earlier this year. Our golden delicious also had a fruit on it - one. Also fell over and lost the apple in the same windstorm. Should have repotted them so they were not so top heavy. At least the trees were not damaged, that is the most important thing.

I can’t help but wonder if Emerald Beaut was involved in producing the Flavor Grenade pluot…

2 Likes

Just pre-ordered an Emrald Beaut from OneGreenWorld. Will graft Flavor Grenade and Splash to it once it arrives. Fingers crossed! Seattle area so hope it’ll ripen!

3 Likes