Emerald Drop Pluots

Geo Pride gets pretty dark when fully ripe, softens a bit, and becomes much easier to pull off the stem. So I give mine a gentle squeeze and a gentle tug to see if they are ripe.

9 Likes

Thanks

Are Flavor Queen a lot bigger then Emerald Drop?

Not a lot. Maybe a little. I like ED a little more than FQ but I suspect that would vary between individuals.

Those Geo Prides look like they’re freestone

Fruitnut those are so beautiful. It is really horrible that our spring was so cold. A whole orchard with a number of apples and mostly pears. Lots of berries though. The look of the plums in your pictures makes me happy for you and jealous at the same time. My Bavay is still handing on to two green plums! My treat for the year!

1 Like

ED is too sweet for family members, and I think it is becasue of what others have said: too sweet. All enjoy Splash, so my 3-in-1 pluot tree, will become a Splash tree come winter pruning.

Sweet but delicious!

1 Like

Emerald Drop pluots 2017.

9 Likes

How to tell when they’re ripe?

Pluots are ripe when they begin to soften. The maturity charts give a pretty good indication.

1 Like

I like to see a color change

1 Like

The Emerald Drop does turn more yellowish from green as it ripens. But some of the dark ones don’t change color as they ripen.

1 Like

This one scored a 30 brix.

10 Likes

Second one a 31 brix.

5 Likes

I prefer mine a lot Less ripe. They have a nice crunch but still juicy and sweet in the middle. At this stage you get a touch of acid in the skin I really think helps the profile. I also pick Flavor Queen like these, a few days early. I’ve eaten 2 of these today, first one at 21 brix, and second was 22.5. I like these pluots this way. Sure both pluots will go above 30 brix, but at that point they have lost there crispness and are not as flavorful to me. Some fruit tastes really good at higher brix, these two I prefer around 23 brix.

12 Likes

Really nice!

3 Likes

Emerald Drop Pluot with a 32 brix.

4 Likes

6 Likes

Do you have Flavor Queen? My graft is a little Young yet to produce fruit this year. I have heard it is very sweet.