Emerald Drop Pluots

Yes, I have Flavor Queen Pluot.

Flavor Queen is the only pluot that I have that tasted like freshly pressed sugarcane juice and nothing else. Emerald Drop has a little bit of complexity. The best one in the same line is Emerald Beaut.

2 Likes

My Flavor Queens are twice as big as Emerald Drops. Then again, the Flavor Queen has a lot lower fruit sets than Emerald Drop because of the timing of the blooms. Practically there is heavy rain during the peak bloom of Flavor Queen, so they’re naturally thinned out and thus the bigger fruits.

2 Likes

im glad i have these emerald drop pluot still healthy half way through year one in zone 7 NC

I am surprised at the difference in my Flavor Queen in comparison to yours Joe. We do have significant micro climate variations with me on the coastal hills and you located a bit north east on the flatland but the flavor profile of my fruit is quite different for some reason. Mine are also top work grafted to prunus cerasifera. The skin and flesh adjacent to the pit is always quite tart while the rest of the fruit is very juicy and sweet. I sourced my scions from the Berkeley CRFG exchange. I have also had a very heavy yield this year (no thinning), close to 300 large fruit on one medium size tree.
If you are passing by Vallejo in the next week or so please feel free to stop by and sample some.

1 Like

IMO that’s not Flavor Queen. FQ has no tartness at skin or pit. Those exchange varieties aren’t always what they claim to be.

1 Like

Interesting, any guess as to what they may be otherwise? I noticed that the Flavor Queen that I bought at a farmers market were quite bland compared to mine and lacked the distinct floral fragrance of my ripe fruits. They did appear to be identical in appearance.

No I don’t know what it might be. There are so many.

Might do that!