Every fruit is large, apricots

Here are two pics of Orange Red apricots I bought today. Incredible.

Also I do not have small hands, I am 5’ 10”! They are beautiful too. No spray according to the grower.

27 Likes

Wow… looks great… Wish I had a tree full of those.

My 2 year Moor Park had a few blooms this spring, but no fruit set.

TNHunter

2 Likes

Plant the seeds!

2 Likes

I’d love to get scion from the farm. I’ll let you know how they taste!

They are enormous! How do they taste?

1 Like

I will know in about 2-3 days. I left behind the ones that were softer. We are nearing the end of Apricot season by mid-july. Then its time for plums.

2 Likes

Wow. They are the same size as leah-cot apriums.

1 Like

Good Golly Miss Molly! :peach: :grin:

5 Likes

Wow. Those are huge.

2 Likes

Orangered ripens here in mid-late May. It’s surprising it is sold now in your area since the climates seem to be pretty close. Perhaps not so much.

The fruit is typically good size but never that large on my tree.

2 Likes

Orangered has colored up for me. The birds found them today. They are still a week or two away from being ready. It might make sense that , that area of France falls between our ripening times?

2 Likes

We have one of the area’s largest variety of apricots in France. Our apricot season is quite long for apricots. The small Polonaise just ended the Orange-Reds, this will be their last week by next Saturday.

2 Likes

Those Orange red are the grande dame of all Orange reds!!. I like this variety. I hope your OR tastes as impressive as their size.

1 Like

In my orchard apricot season lasts about one and a half to two months, from early-mid May to early-mid July. This year, I picked first Nicole on May 18 and last Tardif de Bordaneil on July 5. Orangered is among the early ones, although not the earliest.

1 Like

Are your ‘home grown’ apricots juicy?
I am used to the ones in the grocery stores, and have never seen any at farm stands locally, so I think they must be a struggle to grow here. That said . . . I planted a Moorcroft apricot this spring and it has grown like a weed. But, I wonder what the fruit might be like - if we get any. ?
Every apricot I’ve ever eaten has been rather ‘dry’.

1 Like

My apricots fell off this year. So. I went to the marche and found the biggest apricots I have ever seen. Mam and I were concerned that bigger doesn’t always taste better. Well, I have not been disappointed yet. The last of them are going into a tart tomorrow. It was the end of the Orange - Red varieity. Now moving into Rouge de Roussillion, the tree I have. I transplanted it on time, but the wind was my enemy this past spring. We are having a wind today too. They were delicious.

2 Likes

They were delish. Amazing. I ate them fresh and the rest go into a tart tomorrow.

2 Likes

My Zard apricot had fruit for the first time. They where very small fruit and damaged but I cut a small clean piece and it was very juicy and flavorful.

1 Like

Karen
Before I grow my own fruit, two store-bought fruit that disappointed me every time I bought them were apricots and nectarines.

Apricots were always somewhat dry, underripe and bland or sour. Nectarines were hard and tart, too tart for me.

My own apricots were ripe and sweet. Some were juicier than others.
Nectarines were sweet with a hint of tartness and overall, flavorful.

Both fruit have exceeded my expectation. We don’t have any nectarine or apricot orchard here. I am glad I’ve grown my own. Otherwise, I would have still disliked these two fruit.

1 Like

Quite juicy. I look forward to my Sugar Pearls harvest as much as I look forward to the peaches.

1 Like