Experience w/ new Feijoa varieties?

I’m curious how you prep the hole for planting your feijoas? Do you use any soil amendments or fertilizers?

Lots of home made compost as top dressing. The soil is very healthy where I plant most of my trees. They grow fast once in ground.

1 Like

Do you guys (and gals) mostly grow your feijoas in tree or bush form? Do you see pros or cons with either?

Most feijoa plants, although single-trunked, will develop a bushy growth.

I try to limit the height to 10 feet, otherwise fruit out of ladder range will be bruised after falling from higher up.

3 Likes

Hey Paul -
I’m a bit of a late arrival to this thread - having just registered. I’m also a regular on the Tropical Fruit Forum, where I’ve been searching - without success - for a source for Wiki Tu scionwood.

Did I understand correctly that you were growing it at one point but found it unsuited to your location?

I’m located down on the North/Central CA coast and have half a dozen varieties happily growing in my (small) fruit forest.
They’re probably not subject to your shortened season, and I’d be eager to know if you know somebody who’s making Wiki Tu available here in the US.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

1 Like

Never tried new Zealand varieties but I heard they are some of the sweetest and largest available! Just got my kakariki and anatoki.

3 Likes

From where?

1 Like

From OGW! I got an email a couple weeks ago saying they had a few in stock

1 Like

What size were they advertised as?

1 Like

1 gallon. Very healthy looking plants and varieties I been dying to get. Im so excited! I have takaka and waingro that should be here any day. All my feijoa are seedlings ,so i cant wait to taste a patented cultivar!

3 Likes

Yes, they look great, and I have a credit that will pay for half of one.

But maybe I should wait until this wild fire is contained. Currently we’re evacuated, thankfully my mother lives nearby, just far enough to be safe.

5 Likes

Takaka should be wonderful. Mine is swelling nicely this year.
Waingaro will almost certainly not ripen here but should do great where you are.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that brother! I would definitely wait! Prayers and good vibes your way! I see yall are having record heat in PNW ,while were about to get record cold in SE. Were in a severe drought here. Im surprised we haven’t had a wildfire.

Awesome! Thanks so much for the information. I have a few seedling that are about 8 years old but i consider myself a newbie to the feijoa scene.

My seedlings i plan to graft onto. I prefer tree to shrub look. Too many snakes here. Lol!

5 Likes

Well, I ordered it for pickup, then later learned that the evacuation zone has shrunk.

Good news, our lowered to get ready zone today from leave now zone yesterday.

I’m at home moving the gas cans and propane away from the house. Removing cash, passport, laptop, etc.

I’m a resident of East Tennessee in the U.S. and I decided to plant 3 feijoa trees in my backyard of different varieties. I’ve already planted a Takaka, plan to get an Anatoki and have a dilemma on what I should choose for my third. I’m ideally looking for a mid-late season variety that has a great flavor (sweet and tangy), but my options are limited and there’s a high likelihood that the Apollo that I desire may not be available to me anytime soon, if ever. Should I settle for another early season variety (Kaiteri or Kakariki) and deal with a ton of fruit at once, or choose the late-season Waingaro instead? (no one seems to say anything about Waingaro’s taste, only that it’s a heavy cropper).

1 Like

Hi Ken. Welcome!
It would be good to get Waingaro as it is likely to also keep reasonably well unlike an early season variety.