Experience w/ new Feijoa varieties?

It looks like there are a bunch of new Feijoa (pineapple guava) varieties from New Zealand on the market. Anyone had any experience with Kakariki, Takaka, Anatoki or Kaiteri? I’m struggling to understand how these are different from one another. I only have room for one!

2 Likes

Takaka is self fertile and may be the best bet if you have room for only one.

3 Likes

Whoops - should have said that I have one seedling in the ground already – so I will have a total of two plants. I don’t need one that is self-fertile! I only have room for one more! Would you still recommend Takaka?

All the other varieties are patented. The patent application says that one of the parents is Apollo. Apollo is considered an excellent variety. The other parent is not mentioned. (possibly open pollinated?)

I have heard that they are all very similar in quality.

2 Likes

The breeder (cannot remember his name) said he likes Anatoki and Pounamu best, maybe try one of those two

3 Likes

Pounamu isn’t available anywhere I checked.

According to a NZ taste test, wiki Tu and Opal star were highest rated. Both are unavailable in the US. Poumanu was rated lower.

But then, all taste tests are very subjective. Microclimate and terroir might make a far bigger difference

2 Likes

Yes Wiki-Tu stands out in the taste tests but there is no chance it would ripen in WA or much of Europe, that’s why I got rid of it. I think Anatoki, Pounamu, Kaiteri and Kakariki have some chance. The best for our colder climates should be Arhart, I think it ripens 14 days earlier than the other varieties mentioned, possibly also Tagan (none of those are available in US/Euro yet)

2 Likes

Will get some Arhart cuttings to graft in spring.
I’ve heard Arhart is slow and lacks vigor. Anecdotal but that’s all I have.

1 Like

Great! I should have some in the spring too, I failed to graft it 2 years ago. I really think this one is our chance. I love feijoas, the look, the taste just about everything. Even my wife admitted it looks great and she is the one who would want to cut all fruit trees and keep the surroundings just ornamental.
Thanks for letting me know it’s a slow grower, at least I can plan better where to put it.

1 Like

A related question…for the purpose of cross pollination, how far apart (maximum) should the two feijoa plants in my yard be from one another?

Probably,since the native pollinating helpers aren’t here,we might have to do most of that ourselves.So,it may not matter how far apart the plants are,if the pollen can be collected and redistributed in some way.

1 Like

My wife is the same way. She only tolerates loquats and feijoa because they look ornamental – doesn’t like any of the other fruit trees.

2 Likes

My wife doesn’t like the trees to be near the house, except for some inexplicable reason, the trees that were already there, like a cedar whose trunk is practically touching our front patio. I want to take it out while its still manageable, but I suppose we’ll end up paying somebody to do it 10 years from now or when it falls on the house.

4 Likes

Murky, I can relate. We have this HUGE walnut tree that’s 15ft away from the house, the roots are lifting the driveway, so much mess coming from it, leaves, rotting walnuts on the ground yet it’s untouchable. We had so many arguments over it.
From the trees I planted I think only persimmons, feijoas (and maybe pomegranates) get pass, the rest is constant struggle

2 Likes

Got a beautiful LARGE Arhart today to round out my Feijoa collection.

9 Likes

is that another new variety from New Zealand? Or why are you excited about it?

Yes, it is another variety from NZ. Possibly earlier than any of the others which is an advantage in my climate.

2 Likes

Wow what a beauty, I didn’t know it’s available in US. I grafted mine few weeks ago so it will take 2 years to get to that size

2 Likes

Where can I get one?!,

Not sure when this one will go on sale. Still scarce in the US.

1 Like