Experience with Red Fleshed Apples

I have a dozen varieties of red fleshed pears and just over 200 varieties of red fleshed apples. Most of the red fleshed pears do not keep, my favorite to eat is Verbelu. Out of over 1,300 varieties of fruit I enjoy growing red fleshed ones the most.

2 Likes

And if you go to Nigel’s site his description of my collection of red fleshed apples is way out of date, says I have 40 when it is now 200. I told him to come visit if he ever comes to the US.

There are quite a few other ones that have this flower effect. When we do apple tastings I always do a lot of the red fleshed ones this way for the effect. And when visitors come to our UPic for the first time I walk them over to some of these varieties and cut into the apples that way and of course they want to fill their bags up

OMG, which other ones have the flower effect???

I’m in Canada. We don’t have as many commercial scionwood sources, and there aren’t as many people to trade with. And our equivalent to GRIN is not as well stocked and is nowhere near as generous. Sad face.

1 Like

I’m on my phone so I haven’t checked their lists, but have you looked into the Canadian links on this scionwood source thread?

1 Like

Yup, I’ve gone through those. Saltspring doesn’t sell scion. Applelucious has some red-flesh, but not Red Devil, which seems to the one with the best flavour. Plant Gene Resources of Canada doesn’t work with backyard growers. Prairie Fruit Genebank is focused on plants that can withstand -40. Summer Land sells a minimum of 10 of 1type and $100. But I appreciate your efforts to help. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Update on the red flesh apples.
… some are blooming, some have bloomed…and some aren’t old enough.

I am very pleasantly surprised the Redlove ODYSSO trees I got from Jung’s Nursery are going to be loaded with blossoms…these are one year whips 5 feet tall…a real ‘steal’ at $29 each. Rootstock not specified, but m9 possibly.

Bakran seems to be the only 2018 red flesh variety I grafted that is blooming this year.

Newly grafted varieties look as if many have ‘taken’, but it’s only 2 or 3 weeks, too early to take a count.

1 Like

Do you have any pictures of those red fleshed pears cut open? I’d be interested to see what they look like.

2 Likes

I snagged my ones from OGW and they all have flowered at 5’ tall whips. Very impressed by the redloves.

1 Like

I am going to speculate out loud that the grower was the same…and they divided up who would sell what…with the 'Redlove" varieties being sold this year for first time by mainline nurseries.

1 Like

Those are awesome. I’d love to see it.

Any of those varieties a truly good apple?

Scott

1 Like

Quite a few are really good apples and some of them so out so fast when we have our UPic hours open that I set a couple bags aside for me. Red Devil, Almata, Geneva, Pink Pearl and Winekist for just a few.

Yes, Redfield grows well. But I can’t get my M-111 to bloom. Put it on B9 last year. Just grafted it onto G202 last week. Niedzwetzkyana isn’t very tasty, but it grafts and grows very well.
(It might be better in cider or as dried apples. Especially since dried apples I usually add quite a bit of sugar when cooking them for stack cakes or fried pies!)

I’m still waiting on my other red fleshed varieties, but expect the new Odysso’s to have at least one or two to sample this summer. By the way, buds of the Odysso are a deep smoky burgundy color (blackish almost like Arkansas Black apple skin)…but they lighten up in bloom to be about like the deep pink bloom of several other red fleshed apples.

1 Like

The only trees on M7 to produce for me within 3 years were Liberty and Arkansas Black.
And the ArkBlack runted and died in about 8 years. And Liberty got hit with spray…from power line spraying. Fuji didn’t, Braeburn didn’t, Granny Smith didn’t, Grimes Golden didn’t, Rome didn’t, and Geneva Early didn’t. Jonathon on MM106 did. About 7 years for standard trees, on average, as I recall.

None of my grafting has been to M111 or M7…except my ‘frankentree’ is M-111. It has 5 red fleshed and 4 varieties that aren’t…to this point.

zestfest, have you asked about red fleshed varieties on the big private facebook groups? Hardy Fruit and Nut Trees of Alberta, Hardy Fruits and Nuts of CANADA, Canadian far north fruit tree grafters ( Grafting )? Between the 3 you have over 2700 people who are pretty happy to trade scions.

1 Like

Seems you guys can work something out to find red flesh trees…hungryfrozen and zestfest.

Looks like I’ll get to sample Niedzwetzkyana again, and Bakran and Odysso maybe. The scions of Giant Russian had blooms…but I pinched them…didn’t want the graft to fail.

Still waiting for evidence of a successful graft for Almata, Otterson and Vitalstar varieties of red fleshed apples.

I have 3 varieties odysso, baya marisa and red devil… they are new so not fruit yet, maby this year.

1 Like

Luisport, sounds like you have 3 of the most likely for commercial success to date for fresh eating. (Although we’ll see how those soon to be introduced in US supermarkets taste…since we won’t have access to those varieties for awhile.) Odysso bloomed prolifically…and I collected some pollen for future use…too early to tell if there will be fuit set…I’ll let at least one grow if they do. (Everything else had finished blooming…but I did have a wee bit of pollen from another variety…we’ll see if me being a bee was a success.)

1 Like

Just looked…and it seems I have a few fruits on the Odysso….will know in a few days for certain…but petals are gone, and some fruits seem to be bigger than yesterday.

1 Like