Experience with Red Fleshed Apples

My first experience with red fleshed apples was several years ago when I ordered 2 Niedzwetzkyana from Trees of Antiquity.

Both were on M111 (supposedly anyhow). One, which I planted at someone else’s house, was over 15 feet tall in 3 years and had maybe 60 apples on it! The other to this day is only 5 feet tall (but it bloomed and I let it set 3 fruits the year I planted it…which probably stunted it…it appears to be ready to make a growth spurt and also has some fruit buds this spring .)

I do understand that varieties as well as rootstocks can influence growth. I will not be able to do the control study. Don’t have space or desire to grow two of the same varieties. Have done that with William‘s Pride when I first started and not very wise :smile:

I don’t know if it’s rootstocks or varieties. Golden Russet on B9 has been attacked by wooly aphids these last two years (not the first year planted).

Meanwhile, Fuji on G41, only 6-7 ft away has had no issue. Amazing.

I grafted both Williams Pride and Williams Favorite onto B-9 last year. Do you know if either have any dependable amount of red flesh…bleeding under skin, etc.?

I have only WP. Its red skin barely bleeds into its flesh. I do not consider WP a red flesh apple.

But again, WP may behave differently where you are. In my area, WP hardly ever have a water core issue. @scottfsmith, has bad water core with WP. He is in MD.

I haven’t tried any of these yet but I was told they were not crisp, so decided to pass. If I was misinformed, do let me know!

Williams’ Pride can be crisp (at least in my climate) and surprisingly good for an early apple.

William Pride has some crunch but not the level of Honey Crisp’s (I have both). To me, it is a good early apple.

*I wonder if “Crisp” apples will even be popular 10 years from now? Honeycrisp, CrimsonCrisp, Ever Crisp…etc. Or if it will be a passing thing.

Or will we cross them up and have red fleshed ones that are crisp, and russet ones that are crisp, and ‘frostproof’ ones that are crisp?

Crisp isn’t the card that trumps all others.

I would think so. Just look at how long the bland and mealy red “Delicious” has been popular. It has been so ubiquitous in the market because it was the standard red apple that people grew up with. Honeycrisp has been the apple that millennials grew up with and the grocery market trend has been to chase after grown up millennial’s money.

I had a graft of Redfield, scion from Fedco, on my multigrafted Jonared. It survived, healed, grew about a foot in 3 years, and died. It is my only graft (of my doing) that did that. Looking back, could I have unknowingly have grafted it backwards? I dont know. Maybe I should try again. But I think the Redlove series will be more to my liking anyway.

You might have come up against grafting incompatibility. Sometimes it happens. Redfield is usually robust, and does fine on M26, Geneva 30 and amazingly on Geneva 202. I’d try it on something else. Fantastic tree and useful, trouble free fruit.

Does anyone grow Crimson Surprise besides me? It was sent as a whip going on five years ago. It blossomed for the past two years sparingly, the the blossoms dropped. To this day I have never seen a an apple. It is supposed to be very red which is why I bought it. I would love to a growers picture of it, and not just a google pic. Thanks!

I thought you have a Scarlet Surprise, not Crimson Surprise.

Thanks Tippy, it is Scarlet Surprise!:blush:

I love this – where you can see the outline of the blossom inside the apple! I’ve seen this, but not as distinctly, in other apple pictures. Does anyone know – does this mostly show up as distinct as in this photo in the darker apples or only the Geneva Crab or ??

This is also awesome, where the petals are red instead of white. Almaty apple. image

@zestfest, you might enjoy some of the photos and descriptions of red-fleshed varieties collected by Nigel Deacon in the UK.

Anyone growing any of the red fleshed pears?

Yes! Thanks! I have scoured his site. Unfortunately many of the varieties he talks about that are good to eat are not easily available on this side of the Atlantic.