Experience with Red Fleshed Apples

I haven’t tried any of these yet but I was told they were not crisp, so decided to pass. If I was misinformed, do let me know!

Williams’ Pride can be crisp (at least in my climate) and surprisingly good for an early apple.

1 Like

William Pride has some crunch but not the level of Honey Crisp’s (I have both). To me, it is a good early apple.

2 Likes

*I wonder if “Crisp” apples will even be popular 10 years from now? Honeycrisp, CrimsonCrisp, Ever Crisp…etc. Or if it will be a passing thing.

Or will we cross them up and have red fleshed ones that are crisp, and russet ones that are crisp, and ‘frostproof’ ones that are crisp?

Crisp isn’t the card that trumps all others.

I would think so. Just look at how long the bland and mealy red “Delicious” has been popular. It has been so ubiquitous in the market because it was the standard red apple that people grew up with. Honeycrisp has been the apple that millennials grew up with and the grocery market trend has been to chase after grown up millennial’s money.

1 Like

I had a graft of Redfield, scion from Fedco, on my multigrafted Jonared. It survived, healed, grew about a foot in 3 years, and died. It is my only graft (of my doing) that did that. Looking back, could I have unknowingly have grafted it backwards? I dont know. Maybe I should try again. But I think the Redlove series will be more to my liking anyway.

1 Like

You might have come up against grafting incompatibility. Sometimes it happens. Redfield is usually robust, and does fine on M26, Geneva 30 and amazingly on Geneva 202. I’d try it on something else. Fantastic tree and useful, trouble free fruit.

2 Likes

Does anyone grow Crimson Surprise besides me? It was sent as a whip going on five years ago. It blossomed for the past two years sparingly, the the blossoms dropped. To this day I have never seen a an apple. It is supposed to be very red which is why I bought it. I would love to a growers picture of it, and not just a google pic. Thanks!

1 Like

I thought you have a Scarlet Surprise, not Crimson Surprise.

1 Like

Thanks Tippy, it is Scarlet Surprise!:blush:

1 Like

I love this – where you can see the outline of the blossom inside the apple! I’ve seen this, but not as distinctly, in other apple pictures. Does anyone know – does this mostly show up as distinct as in this photo in the darker apples or only the Geneva Crab or ??

7 Likes

This is also awesome, where the petals are red instead of white. Almaty apple. image

5 Likes

@zestfest, you might enjoy some of the photos and descriptions of red-fleshed varieties collected by Nigel Deacon in the UK.

3 Likes

Anyone growing any of the red fleshed pears?

2 Likes

Yes! Thanks! I have scoured his site. Unfortunately many of the varieties he talks about that are good to eat are not easily available on this side of the Atlantic.

1 Like

Still, a good number of them are obtainable here. All of the Etter varieties are available from Greenmantle as benchgrafts, and Pink Pearl and Airlie Red Flesh / Hidden Rose / Mountain Rose are available as trees from various US sources. Our own @derekamills has an extensive collection of red-fleshed apple scionwood for sale, including domestics like Mott’s Pink and many obscure European varieties. PM him for a list that will keep you busy for hours.

3 Likes

zestfest I have or will have if my grafting works out this spring about 2 dozen red fleshed ones.
Only Niedzwetzkyana has fruited, and I hope a couple others will this year.

I have Pink Parfait on B=9 that I might let have one fruit if it blooms this year.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not in the US so my options are much more limited. That’s OK, it’s not like I really have room /enough sun anyway! I’m just greedy and want ALL THE APPLES.

I’m not sure where you are then, but the European Union should have more red flesh available than USA does…but you may have to do some searching.

1 Like

I have a dozen varieties of red fleshed pears and just over 200 varieties of red fleshed apples. Most of the red fleshed pears do not keep, my favorite to eat is Verbelu. Out of over 1,300 varieties of fruit I enjoy growing red fleshed ones the most.

2 Likes