Experience with Red Fleshed Apples

SimontornyaiVeralma. I took the photo from a East European website.

1 Like

I grow Rosette, it has not fruited yet, but sounds pretty interesting.

1 Like

Derek: Let us know how it plays. I’d given serious thought to Discovery & am even more interested in Rosette.

2 Likes

Will do If you have room Discovery is a great tasting apple and worth the space.

1 Like

Anything new to tell us about this apple?

Here are a few of this year’s Airlie Red Flesh. I got the scion a few years ago at the Home Orchard Society scion exchange in Oregon. Last year they were less red. The flavor is nice and I think I can detect a bit of “berry” or vinous flavor. They do get some scab, one of only a few in my garden that are affected. It doesn’t hurt the apple, however.

16 Likes

Beautiful color!

1 Like

Airlie’s Red Flesh is one of my favorites I grow. It did scab up this year pretty badly though and was an off-year for me.

1 Like

Were you able to find out anything about red-fleshed apples for the southern United States?

1 Like

It’s been a struggle just to get any kind of apple to grow where I am, so I never pursued anything further with the red-fleshed.

1 Like

I have lots of wild crabapples on the property. One had red leaves in the spring. I have trimmed the surrounding trees and it started putting out nice red fleshed apples. Good sweet tart flavor with just a bit of dryness. Tasted like a good cider variety:

10 Likes

For some reason, red flesh apples are sort of obsession for me. I don’t know why - I only have the one that has borne fruit (Airlie Red flesh, which is good), and from what I read, a lot of the others aren’t that great. I have a graft of Bill’s Red Flesh, and a 1-year old Redlove Era . I just lowered the branches of Redlove Era to make an espalier. It has what appears to be a flower bud, maybe a couple, so who knows about next year.

For next Spring, I ordered a Redlove Calypso (supposedly the most fragrant and reddest Redlove. They look small in the photos) and a Redlove Odysso, which is supposed to be the sweetest. On the Lubera website Markus Korbelt (in Switzerland, who developed them over about 20 years) states that among his newest is Redlove Jederman’s (Everyone) which does not have astringency, and should therefore be more popular with “everyone” which makes me think the others might have some astringency. Is it all hype? I think Mr. Korbelt must be the Zaiger of Europe. Amazing and dedicated plant breeder and business man for the modern era.

This year I had a nice crop of Jonared, a deep red sport of Jonathan (tree originally from Starks). Those had a lot of beautiful red color leaching into the flesh from the skin, colorful and nice typical Jonathan flavor. Small apples but you can tell, that’s why Jonathan is used for so much breeding, or was before Honeycrisp (Hmmm… Should I invent a “JonaCrisp”?) I also had another apple, one small apple, on a graft that I was thinking was Honeycrisp. However, it was streaked with red throughout the apple and had a wonderful cherry flavor. What a delightful apple. I looked at the branch again, it’s next to the one labeled Sweet-16 (which has not borne fruit and should not be red inside?) but that branch is actually labeled “Fameuse” which I have not read is supposed to have red or cherry flavor. I would fire the good-for-nothing tree labeling guy, but he happens to be me. Sorry, I did not take photos of either. We will see about next year.

If that Redlove Era does have a flower, I think I will hand pollinate from that onto McIntosh-like NorthPole and maybe Porter (old, sweet, fruity, yellow) or something else that’s a favorite and quite sweet but not triploid - maybe Jonared? Or see if I can locate that Honeycrisp branch and create a “HoneyLove” tree? Then grow the resulting seeds. Who knows?

2 Likes

Please keep us updated as to how your red fleshed apples are doing. I have not thought much about the red fleshed varieties actually until this year. Reading though the threads and posts I am tempted to put one or two out in my orchard. However, I want to make sure I pick one that my family would like. I hate to waste the space on an apple tree they will not like. Reading the reviews of each of these really helps me out to choose those. I am running out of room in my orchard so I need to choose carefully. Wasting three to five years on an apple that they will not eat is a shame.

1 Like

I know this is a long overdue reply to your question. I had a Rome apple, some years back, and it had red tinge to the apples that grew on my tree. It was on most of the ones I grew off that tree. I moved a few years after it started producing apples though. The person that bought my house cut down all the fruit trees I planted.

2 Likes

I don’t know, most of us waste time in one department or another. With an apple tree, you can graft it to some other variety if you don’t like it. Or to multiple varieties.

I’m betting I’m going to like the Redlove “Odysso” as I’ve obtained multiple trees, and from three sources in case there is a difference. Would have had some 2019 fruits if not for birds or varmints.

I also think if I have the time and space, I can probably grow out some seedlings that will improve on the ones I’ve tasted so far with red flesh. But, I’m not so young anymore, and don’t have the resources that a Cornell or Purdue or Michigan State U would have.

Bakran is the best I’ve tried to eat and it’s ping pong ball sized…and will put an edge on your teeth like eating a lemon. Not bitter, just sour. But, the flavor and juiciness are ok. I’m hoping to try Rubiayat and Grenadine and Pink Pearmain sometime, but they sure aren’t growing very fast so far.

The Redlove “Cierce” is somewhat like a under-ripe “Winesap”…but.with good red flesh. Not a apple I’d want to pick and eat. Don’t know if it will improve in storage. Probably good for jelly and cider. (I like sweeter fruit, like Fuji…although varieties such as “Winesap” are good if stored awhile.)

Have bought or grafted 30+ red fleshed cultivars so far, but waiting to sample fruits from most of them.

3 Likes

I have all of Greenmantle’s Etter reds here (along with a few non-Etter cousins), and so far, the standouts have been Pink Pearl (early), Christmas Pink (late), and Pink Parfait (very late). Pink Pearl is fairly well-known, and the wonderful Pink Parfait may not ripen properly in many areas, but Christmas Pink has been really good for us and deserves wider attention. It’s large, productive, highly colored, sweet/tart, and very crisp and juicy. I don’t know how well it performs outside of Northern California, but it’s good enough to be worth trying elsewhere.

3 Likes

Jerry I’m curious as to when you find Christmas Pink at its best for both optimal texture and flavor. I have left some until Nov. and while the flavor was good, they were fairly soft. TIA.

1 Like

It varies somewhat from year to year, but this year the peak was probably the last week of October through the first week of November here on the Marin coast. We still have half a dozen on our young tree, and they haven’t gone soft yet. They’re brilliantly pink inside this year.

Rubaiyat will probably be pickable within the week, and here, they have a greater tendency to go soft if left hanging too long than does Christmas Pink. I’ll likely leave Pink Parfait hanging until December. My little Grenadine is too young to bear, but ought to fall between the two ripening-wise.

4 Likes

Please take pictures!

1 Like

Making an early start on next year, I ordered a bare root RedLove™ Calypso™ from One Green World. I wish there was more independent info on them, other than what is supplied by the nursery, but they are too new and it is what it is. Maybe in a few years I can provide some experience and evaluation. I like being able to plant it in the fall, so the timing was nice. I don’t want to open the package until morning, leaving it out in the non-freezing chill tonight.

Lubera nursery on RedLove™Calypso™

4 Likes