Experience with Red Fleshed Apples

That means this might be my year coming up! Always vigorous and lovely blooms. Early bloom sometimes problematic and I go looking at local crabs for pollen.

3 Likes

Converting my Redfield on M111 to open center.
Bought it in '16 and planted as a two-year feathered tree. Had decent crop of over a dozen apples in 2022 but none this year. So, if it has anything in '24 it’ll have to be along the main trunk or one low limb since the other wood is only going to be new growth or one year old.

But I have a graft on G-202 that’ll be 4th leaf and it has bloom buds I think, so maybe I’ll get Redfield apples from a potted tree next time.
But, Redfield blooms with early crab apples, and with Niedzwetzkyana and Veralma Simontornya. All are diploid so far as I can tell.

If I find the time and energy, I my ‘force’ blooms on a potted tree and get cross pollination by a white/yellow fleshed apple that way.

3 Likes

I finally raised some of the deep purple carrots this year. Turned my vegetable soup BLACK!!

4 Likes

lol! I’m sticking to orange! Probably really healthy for you. Just hard to work with. Now purple potatoes didn’t turn my hands purple. That’s a plus!

3 Likes

Been trying for 6 to 8 years…finally have a couple little trees of this variety (Baya Marisa/Tickled Pink).
Maybe get to sample someday.

The old Niedz. is as good as any of the Redloves I’ve had so far.

I think Baya Marisa is not a good variety. Sour.

2 Likes

It depends on growing conditions… many redfleshed apples will be more sweet on less cold/more warm places. One example is rubayiat apple. I read many reports of this apple to be acidic but this year i got my first apples and they were sweet… really good apples on my area!

2 Likes

I agree. Some years the same tree tastes different…a different season. And obviously a foggy humid place isn’t going to give the same results as an arid sunny place.

1 Like

Bought six LucyGlo apples at some fancy grocer for a fancy price. Couldn’t have been grown in eastern WA: only one had pink flesh, while another had pink suggestions near the skin. Flavor was nowhere near as good as Pink Pearl.

Cut 'em up into hand made mince pie & the Better Half made the crust. Will check on the result this evening.
Next year will save Winekist or Redfield (hmm, might as well try both) cut up & frozen just for this pie project.

3 Likes

I’ll probably buy a Lucy apple if one ever arrives on a store shelf in my part of KY. But, in no rush for them.

Redfield is interesting to raise…but the taste and texture is no improvement in my opinion than it’s red fleshed parent…rather bland and sour but not too sour to eat. Yet to try in a pie.
Maybe in a couple years I’ll have enough for that.

I ordered some G969 this year so that’s good to hear!

2 Likes

I am thankful to say the mince meat pie turned out fine. The apple kept shape, although offering little distinction to the whole. At this point I am unmotivated to try LucyGlo apples again. I’ve not encountered anyone else mentioning Pink Pearl in pie. I tried it because it was at the store when I arrived. Would do again if it ever comes my way.

Your mileage may vary - let’s hope!

1 Like

In the last 7 years since that comment…has anyone fruited the B-118 rootstock for apples?
Should be a red fleshed apple, but any good maybe not?

I seem to recall asking back then at Hocking Hills, and they said it did produce a red fleshed apple but not a very interesting one.

1 Like

I fruited it this year. It did have a bit of red in the flesh, but I didnt spray or protect the apples and they were pretty messed up by, I’m guessing, an insect. When I cut them in half, they did not look to be even worth tasting. The apples were pretty elongated, most abot 1.5 inches in length by maybe 0.75 in in diameter.

1 Like

Anyone ever see Cortland with a little red flesh?

4 Likes

yep. many times. they are usually exceptionally good when they are.

2 Likes

Redcort, a sport of cortland, Ida Red, and even Red Delicious also get red fleshed skin bleed and veins… I think they’re probably also good contenders for red fleshed cross breeding…

2 Likes

Good report.
The conditions and ripening times seem to have the most to do concerning if these cultivars color up/bleed under the skin. You can add Jonathan and Rome to that list.

2 Likes

Hello. If anyone here will have Roberts crab scion wood this spring, I would really like to have just one piece! Have been trying to order from Cummins but they always seem to be sold out and don’t have a waiting list. I would be willing to buy it or trade. I have a good collection of French and English cider apples and a number of heirloom types to trade.

1 Like