Extinct no more!

Agreed, but then again… Johnny Appleseed threw seeds, right? So this is the barely surviving tree of 3 that grew here long before statehood, when the British ran the Hudson’s Bay Company. I just have 1 year old, not even close to tasting time, and the original tree without nearby tree polinators has not had an apple often. I wish a DNA test could be run to find out how it is related to other varieties! :slight_smile:

I do not know how this apple tastes but I saw a photo of the apple it produced. I read varieties here may have had parentage from this tree.

4 Likes

More informamtion I found on old apples grown in early America:

" Crabapples are the only native apple species in North America, with small, sour fruit, but native tribes cooked and stored the fruit, and used the bark medicinally. Only 9 years after first landing at Plymouth in 1620, colonists planted European apple trees in the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Unlike Europe, apple varieties in early America were usually not grafted and most fruit came from seedling trees. The fruit was eaten fresh, but mainly processed for storage by drying, cooking, and especially by making cider. Johnny Appleseed (John Chapman) was very influential in spreading seedlings throughout the East and Midwest in the early 1800s. By the mid 1800s, farmers began to select for fruit quality and grafted the varieties they liked best."

Old apple variety list of apple varieties commonly found in old Pacific Northwest orchards compiled by R.A. Norton from an orchard reference book dated 1914 found in download of link.

4 Likes

Nice detective work David. I’ve not seen the yearly report and it is very helpful. Dr. Bob Norton is a local gem who lives on Vashon Island and still makes it out to local fruit festivals. I wll look for his list of heirloom varieties. Thanks!

2 Likes

Making progress, great job!

Lost Apple Project - CNN

4 Likes

I wanted to update.

We did genetic testing on the oldest apple tree in WA state, which by the way sadly died this year…but they are trying to “save” it by grafting on limbs from genetic clones.

Turns out to be a novel tree, not directly shown to have parents with any known variety, even though we know the seeds came from a desert apple grown in England, likely planted late 1700s.

The closest genes to a known variety is a variety that is FIVE HUNDRED YEARS OLD!

Here is more from our mayor:

“ IN SEARCH FOR ANCES-TREE, OLD APPLE TREE IS ONE OF A KIND

A scientific search for its ancestral tree has led directly back to the Old Apple Tree.

Genetic testing has become a popular tool for people seeking scientific clues about their ancestors. Vancouver Urban Forestry and National Park Service were looking for much the same type of information when they and a volunteer teamed up with Washington State University (WSU) to answer this question: Exactly what type of apple tree is the Old Apple Tree?

Turns out it truly is one of a kind. Genetically unique.

Since the time the Old Apple Tree was planted in 1826, the type of apple it produces has been unknown. Most often, it has been referred to as an English Greening Apple, generic term used for a European old-world apple.

In late 2019, Paul Stasz, a volunteer with both Vancouver Urban Forestry and National Parks Service, contacted researchers at WSU-Pullman, to see if the Old Apple Tree could be part of the university’s apple genome project. DNA tissue samples were carefully collected and sent to WSU’s Cameron Peace, one of the principal investigators sequencing the worldwide family tree of apple. With its large database, the project can identify ancestors of specific apples.

The results are now in. The genetic testing has confirmed that the Old Apple Tree is not identical to another known apple tree and, further, has no known parent-child relationships in WSU’s extensive apple genome database.

The closest relationship appears to be a distant one to the 500-year-old variety, French Reinette, considered the ‘grandmother of all’ apple trees. The French Reinette is a close direct ancestor of most modern varieties and also a parent or grandparent to many heirloom varieties.

Pearce plans to publish a paper on the genetic findings of the Old Apple Tree. Its official, botanical name is now Malus x domestica ‘Ft Vancouver’ or the Old Apple Tree.

Planted from seed at the historical Fort Vancouver, the Old Apple Tree is considered the matriarch of the apple industry in Washington State. Its death earlier this summer at the venerable age of 194 was precipitated by a significant spiral crack in the trunk.

Arborists investigated and determined that the cambium layer of the tree, which transports water and nutrients to the canopy, had been disrupted when the tree shifted slightly.

Thanks to its amazing genetics, however, the Old Apple Tree lives on.

Vancouver Urban Forestry, the National Park Service and others have been planning for the inevitable by nurturing several root suckers, now small saplings growing around the Old Apple Tree.

One sapling near the center of the original tree will be cultivated and will inherit the title of Old Apple Tree, given its genetic makeup. It’s the same root system, but with a new stem.

The remaining saplings will be transplanted to the National Park Service’s historic orchard at the Fort Vancouver National Historic Site.”

15 Likes

Very interesting article.

2 Likes

Scions from the Lost Apple Project are now available for requests.

I found their post on Facebook about Ewalt being the only tree in the orchard that survived a late freeze and still produced to be particularly interesting.

6 Likes

@disc4tw just posted from this website that contains so much more- a fabulous, new (to me) website that compiles a vast amount of useful info about fruit growing. I hope folks will check it out, especially newbies.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting that. I just sent in a request for a Gold Ridge apple scion, a rare Burbank variety that was developed nearly next door in Sonoma County.

4 Likes