Extinct no more!

Some thought extinct apples have been found! In fact, you should read this and if you find very old apple trees and are unsure variety, you should let the guy know.

13 Likes

Before posting a link to a year-old article you might consider using the search option to check whether this information has been already posted on this forum before.

3 Likes

One of those apple names jumped out at me: Kittageskee, a Cherokee apple so good it was once grown extensively in France. Tom Brown and Ron Joyner (Big Horse Creek Farm) both North Carolina, have searched for Kittageskee for years and years and years. It was one of their top life priorities to find it. Who would have thought it would turn up in the NW?

This is a major discovery, wow!

Here is Ron Joyner’s Blog article about his elation at hearing Kittigeskee is found: The Kittageskee Story

8 Likes

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

4 Likes

I was curious about the flushing spitzenburg that was listed so googled a bit more. This article has a little bit more info on a few of the cultivars listed. Flushing spitz is said to be without much flavor which is a bummer, not much at all like the esopus spitz. Still super interesting. This article also has some paintings of the apples listed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wilderness-resources/blogs/amp/apple-detectives-rediscover-5-types-apples

Does anyone on this forum do fruit still lifes? I thought @mrsg47 maybe did? If my memory is correct.

1 Like

Sorry, Stan, but no I had not searched if a ywar ago it was already shared. It appears that people here are glad my local news story on it was shared again though. Not able to put into the old thread now. Oh well.

4 Likes

Yes, I was wondering if they would by now have any available tree starts or scions for sale. That particular variety you mentioned also caught my eye as I swear I seen it described as a good one. Hmm…

1 Like

No need to apologize and not a big deal, just something to consider for the future.

Thanks for remembering yes Katie i do. I paint botanicals like those of the apples. Fruit, flowers and of course, nuts! Thoughtful as always! Mrs. G

2 Likes

Hope to someday receive scion for the Ewalt apple which was first discovered as a seedling a few miles from my home in Bedford County Pa.

4 Likes

Hi David- This is Dave Benscoter with the Lost Apple Project. Yes, we make the scions available each spring for the once lost varieties. I believe we are up to 13 recoveries right now. Feel free to email me in January if you’d like some scions. dbens23@gmail.com

8 Likes

Hi Greyphase- This is Dave Benscoter with the Lost Apple Project. I just replied to David_Deafgardening…Yes, we make the scions available each spring for the once lost varieties. Feel free to email me in January if you’d like some scions. dbens23@gmail.com

5 Likes

@DaveB

BRAVO for finding Kittageskee. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that. I thought WHAT??? WOW. Some others on this forum may not realize the priority given to finding Kittageskee for many, many years. As Ron Joyner says in his blog, it was looking like a goner. The finest apple detectives on East Coast had searched for decades.

Did you have any inkling it might be Kittageskee before you turned it over to TOC for ID?

A HUGE find. I can’t wait to grow it and spread it around the backyard orchards I manage or advise around my county. I’ve got some other Cherokee apples grafted around the county. Thank you!

Dave- what are a few of the as yet undiscovered varieties on your Most Wanted list?

2 Likes

Hi Dave B. You can count on hearing from me next winter about scion wood. Thanks for coming on board and offering it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

When my trees get established enough to graft onto I’d like to get some scions from these and do my part to keep them in existance.

1 Like

Hi Hambone - If you go to The Lost Apple Project (LAP) on facebook and scroll through the posts you will find a post of the Kittageskee story by Ron Joyner and a picture of the Kittageskee. The apple was sent to me from Boise and I had no idea it would be the Kittageskee. We have found documentation to over 250 apple varieties that were sold or growing in eastern Washington/northern Idaho in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s and Kittageskee was not on the list. My “White Whale” is the same apple the Montezuma Orchard Restoration people are looking for, the Walbridge apple. The TOC folks have two trees that they will be looking at again and have been designated “possible” Walbridge. We’ll also be announcing the re-discovery of three more apples around June 1st. It will be made on the LAP facebook page.

6 Likes

@DaveB Thanks for that information. Fabulous work, very exciting. I’ll look up Walbridge online and check Lee Calhoun’s book.

Was the Boise person who sent you the Kittageskee an apple grower or another rare apple hunter?

I see you may be targeting Lankford. It originated about 30 miles North of me on Lankford Creek, Kent County on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, unless there is more than one Lankford.

1 Like

Do we know what variety the Old Apple Tree in Vancouver, WA planted near the old Fort Vancouver, originating from seeds from an apple of England is named? Annually they give free tiny trees started by rooting branches. I have one.

1 Like

Thank you supplying this information. Great stuff!

1 Like

Hi David - I’ve never heard that a name was given to the apple. Being a seedling I always assumed it was not very good tasting fresh off the tree. You may be able to answer that question. The tree is important historically as it is believed to be the oldest in Washington.

1 Like