F2 peach x Almond hybrids

It is starting to germinate.

5 Likes

It’s going to be another red hybrid. However, it’s too early to tell whether it has myrobalan plum in its parentage or just peach and almond

4 Likes

3 Likes

Looks like they are self-pollinated.

2 Likes

Can you make apricot x almond hybrids to make aprimonds please? I would like to see aprimonds booming.

2 Likes

I’ve tried it several times, but I haven’t had any success yet. So this year, I’m going to use the apricot as the seed parent and the almond as the pollen parent.

8 Likes

@itheweatherman I’m just getting into stonefruit breeding (though I’m targeting super dwarf genes), so I can’t tell you how valuable I’ve found all of your posts, and enthusiasm for the topic!
Keep up the amazing work, and looking forwards to all your future posts!

1 Like

Thank you.

2 Likes

I just saw this thread for the first time, and find it so interesting!

Any update on how Calired has grown over the last few years? The second post about how it tastes seemed promising (I love donut peaches), and the red leaves are so pretty. Does having almond lineage add any other benefits (e.g. disease resistance, longevity, etc.)?

I know I, for one, would be super interested in a nice-tasting red-leafed peach!

1 Like

It’s now over 9 feet tall. The almond genes makes it tolerant to drought; and so far, I have not observed any diseases on it.
Uploading: 20220805_173636.jpg…
Uploading: 20220805_173600.jpg…
Processing: 20220805_173549.jpg…
Uploading: 20220805_173624.jpg…
Uploading: 20220805_173608.jpg…

2 Likes

That’s awesome! For some reason your pictures didn’t upload, though. Could you try again?

If you ever want to trial cali-red in other locations, I’d be happy to graft some onto my Saturn peach tree (and reimburse you for shipping, of course).

1 Like

4 Likes

5 Likes

Will they be edible?

The flesh is kind of mushy.

1 Like

I tasted two today and they tasted similar to a sweet bagel peach. It was a little bit sweet and with a creamy flesh.

3 Likes

Serendipitous outcome!

1 Like

What do you do with the ones that don’t turn out that great on the taste test?

What a genius

1 Like

I still plant the seeds and I select the seedlings with red leaves for further breeding.

4 Likes