Farmingdale pear

Ok. I meant this image but maybe it’s just the angle…and lack of sleep :slight_smile:

1 Like

Farmingdale is covered with blossoms again!

2 Likes

Started this as a rootstock but i keep this tree to eat the pears. The pears are better than many so called better varities. Yields very fast as well.

1 Like

I’m going to graft a backup of this tree and give some scion to @39thparallel. This is a rare pear. It is not a high-quality pear, but as far as pears go, it’s better than many of the hybrids in most every way.

3 Likes

I wonder how they are rooting cuttings of the colonial pear rootstocks? We need to experiment with a heated winter propagation bench. If we figure it out, we could grow tons of rootstock or just root the named varieties we want.

3 Likes

Why don’t you try growing this tree from root cuttings? That seems like an incredibly easy way for varieties that grow well on their own roots.

1 Like

Farmingdale is a very interesting pear! Here are a couple of fruitlets today. @KSprairie nearly all pears have strikes of fireblight but this one actually does not yet. There are a few fruitlets in the photos

2 Likes

@clarkinks, I re-read the article you linked above, as I had forgotten the details. Very interesting pear indeed. I should probably grow a few Farmingdale for the blight resistance alone. Can’t wait to hear how your breeding projects turn out.

1 Like

@KSprairie @39thparallel

Would bet the farmindale would root easily. Old home is known to easily root.

1 Like

Good article and rooting instructions, @clarkinks .
Are you going to try root some cuttings this fall?

1 Like

@KSprairie

Yes im going to give it a try.

1 Like

@clarkinks That’s Great! Keep us posted for sure. I’d be interested in purchasing 1 or 2 if you end up with any extras.

1 Like

@KSprairie

I’m not selling pears but will let you know if i wind up with a bunch.

1 Like

That would be fantastic Clark. I wish you the best of luck! I just love the story behind Farmingdale and am anxious to see what successes you have with breeding. So much genetic potential there.

1 Like

Farmingdale does not have a spec of fireblight on it amongst trees all showing strikes. Imagine the interstem possibilities!

2 Likes

You should try with your Clark’s Crab too!

I’ve got a bunch of Asian pears on escaped and suckering Callery I dug them up grafted indoors, time to plant out, growing great so far.

1 Like

That must be why Old Home was used for OHxF!
(Bartlett not Farmingdale actually)

1 Like

@Trav

That is one of the reasons for sure! Easy to root , easy to take care of them, graft compatability is excellent, most of all high resistance to fireblight.

1 Like