Favorite Euro Plums

Brady did send me wood from Raintree, but he isn’t where I got Ersinger from. I got the tree from Raintree (same original source…) back in 2016.

I found in my records that I sent it to Stan in 2018, but I don’t see where I sent it to you. Is it something I gave you one time when stopped by during the summer?

Glad to hear it is good- I still haven’t gotten any fruit from mine. In fact, I’ve only tasted a few of my Euro plums. They seem to be taking a long time to come into bearing. And the few that get produced are lost to insect or animals. In the last 2 years, I’ve had so much black knot that I’m not sure if I’ll ever be able to get any significant crop out of them.

2 Likes

Bob,
You gave Ersinger to @Susu who gave me the extra. So I got Ersinger from you by way of Susu.

What rootstocks are your Euro. Mine are Marianna 2624 started settin fruit 3 year after planting and every year since, prolifically, too.

1 Like

Mine were yellow, so different from yours. They ripened second week of July, that would be probably early to mid-August for you. From Rutgers description: “ripens in July in Geneva, amongst the earliest blue plums.” From Cummins description: “ripening just before Castleton.” If yours aren’t ripe yet, it might be something else.

1 Like

Hogg (“The fruit manual”, 1884) lists “Vert Bonne” as one of synonyms of Green Gage (Reine
Claude).

1 Like

Ripen before Castleton!!

So mine is not early nor a blue plum. Wonder what it is. Look like Opal but larger.

1 Like

Quite a mix, but more than half are “Myro Cert” or “Myro 29c”. A few are Krymsk 1 and Pumi.

I think mine were flowering by year #3, but I need to do a better job of pruning and handling insects, animals, and disease to actually get fruit.

I picked these 2 today (they are half of the 4 I’ve picked so far this year…). I think the small one is Jam Session (14-16 brix and a bit tart). I’m not sure what the larger one was (I’ll need to take another look at the graft location.), but it was 21 brix and had a pleasant, but mild flavor.

Euro_Plums_09-01-2019

Euro_Plums_cut_09-01-2019

3 Likes

the Verte bonne is a Reine Claude who grows in Normandy in France. Vast topic of discussion. Often confused, for me it has nothing to do with the Green gage. This is for me the best of Reine Claude.
On the second picture it is the Vert bonne once.
With us she is often confused with Reine Claude, who is in fact the Reine Claude dorée.
I have other Reine Claude as Reine Claude de Moissac.

1 Like

second picture Verte bonne.
third photo in yellow probably Thames croos and next in purple Monsieur.
the last is a mirabelle de Nancy plum. Fruit harvested side oposed in the sun. Otherwise they would have a rosy side.

2 Likes

Here Damas D’août

3 Likes

In the US Reine Claude, Reine Claude Dorée, and Verte Bonne are all considered synonyms for Green Gage. This is according to Plums of New York. This is historically the original Gage-type plum. It sounds like there is some other naming convention where you are.

1 Like

It is not that there is another denomination … It is that they are different varieties.
There are many other Reine Claude.
Even a black Claude queen.
I also have Reine Claude Tardive de Chambourcy.
Reine Claude de Moissac has a production label. She is a little earlier than the Reine Claude dorée.

In another subject I have two varieties of blue mirabelle plums. I do not think you find any.
Mirabelle violette and mirablue.

Do not forget that the Reine Claude come from home. Many people have sown kernels … which has been at the origin of various local varieties. It’s everywhere like that.

1 Like

Small report on some plum this year.
Aprimira, a good plum, a little bigger than the cherry plum. I did not find anything apricot in this plum.
Mirabelle ruby: my surprise of the year … very big fruit for a mirabelle plum. elongated shape. I did not taste them.

1 Like

Here is a good French page describing many Reine Claudes as known in France.

http://www.pommiers.com/prune/prunier.htm

There is no plum they just call “Reine Claude” in that list.

The Reine Claude de Moissac is available in the US, I had it at some point. Many of them are not available in the US though.

I just had a few of my ripe Green Gages, they are fine but nowhere near as good as the Bavay’s. It is their first year fruiting though and I may have also let it overset a bit. My Coe’s got decimated by the crows, there are not many ripe ones at all. They are very good though, better than the Green Gage this year.

3 Likes

I thought they were a later plum than this.

1 Like

Yes they are a bit later but some are ripe now. Most were eaten by crows well before ripeness. I really need to work on crow deterrents for next year, never had problems until this year with them.

1 Like

Don’t at least some euro plums grow fairly true from seed? That would help add to the variety confusion.

1 Like

Just pulled a soft-ripe Valor plum off one of my two trees. Came in at 24 brix! And from a somewhat overloaded tree ( I was anticipating late PC damage that never came). This looks to be a great year for them as they only get better when we start getting cooler nights- they get that sugar while not being borderline mushy and then become PURRFECT. But soft, sweet, sweet ain’t bad.

5 Likes

I expect any self-fertile plum tree will often produce a similar tree from seeds pollinated with its own pollen.

1 Like

Thank you for the link. I know him. A small note, the list is incomplete.
I think you did not understand my thought. Discussions about the green Queen Claude are often the subject of disagreements.
I added to my orchard last year the Queengold, who is also a Greenish Claude Claude. It’s always a delicate subject to deal with. For many, Queen Claude is synonymous with Reine Claude dorée or green gage. He does not have anything.

As for the majority of people mirabelle plums are yellow. I could show you some blues soon.

I only want to say one thing, it’s not a different naming convention at home, but different varieties.

2 Likes

@Arhus76,
Love to see purple mirabelles. Mine are Parfume de Septembre and de Nancy. I cannotvtell the difference except for de Nancy is a bit larger. Mine also have red blush when ripe esp. ones that get good sun exposure.

Here are mirabelles and Pearl. Pearl plums look like an apricots, very orange and about the same size as medium apricots.

5 Likes