Figs 2018

Hope things get better for those farmers.

This is from a one year old small in ground plant. The smaller fig
was picked after Hurricane Michael dumped over 6 inches in one
day. Notice it has started to rot at the bottom. The larger, which is
more typical of Brebera Preta, was picked today, a week later. This
is a green fig that turns golden and swells, and secretes a clear syrupy
honey all over the fig. You can feel it on your fingers The flavor is outstanding. I also have Brebera Branca, but it hasn’t fruited yet. If it’s half as good, I’ll be a happy camper.

2 Likes

I thought he just covered the pot and let the fig stick out, but after a closer reading of the thread, you are correct. Here’s the thread for everyone else:

Now this photo, which is from “F4F/Bill’s Figs” and reposted on Ourfigs, illustrates what I was thinking. Probably a total pain to do, but it looks like either a pipe for a SIP pot or if you use drip irrigation, you could completely control how much water these trees are getting.

1 Like

The SIPs do seem to help prevent splitting by keeping the moisture in the container even, strangely enough letting a container get too dry between waterings can make splitting worse. I’ve not tried them yet but other people like Kerry Sullivan have had great results. I’m going to try and convert some standard plastic containers to SIPs next spring.

@rayrose I’m pretty sure that one fig has anthracnose, I’ve seen a lot of it this year. It presents in multiple ways but one looks like that when the leaf rots and the fungus moves down the petiole to the branch and then onto the fig and into the ostiole.

2 Likes

I don’t have any rotten leaves, so I think it’s just plain rot.

This is my 2018 album for figs: https://photos.app.goo.gl/a9MLNYaf3pqxNU7p9
I haven’t been active posting on this thread, but I have been reading. This should help.

2 Likes

Wow! Thats an early stop to the season.

1 Like

Beautiful pictures of your figs, thank you!

1 Like

Started doing the shuffle .
Moving things inside…
Really had overlooked this…
A conadria fig ,…wow ! That’s a lot of Figs …non ripe yet . But really close to being.
Will bring inside and see if I can ripen some.

2 Likes

Brown Turkey are still growing. Chicago hardy didn’t do much the 6 on that plant didn’t seem to ripen & stayed small.

2 Likes

Italian 258

11 Likes

Grosse de Monstreuse de Lipari

18 Likes

This is one of my favorites. I have two of them. (i258)

1 Like

Does anyone who grows in pots tell me, I’ve bought a VdB fig- how many gallon size pot would be best? I was planning to use a fabric pot and bring it indoors over winter. Does anyone supplement light?

The nice thing about fabric pots is you can drag them around and not worry about any hard corners digging in and tipping them over, I put multiple trees on a piece of tarp and can drag maybe 40 gallons total short distances without breaking too much of a sweat. I use the trunks as handles (once they are established and can hold their own roots) when picking up or dragging individual trees since the fabric pots won’t fall off, the handles on root pouches are not strong enough anyway. I stop at 25 gallons since I need to load all of my containers into a truck and can barely pick them up that high if they are wet.

You can keep a tree happy in smaller containers though, if you are going to keep it inside over winter I’d just think about how much room you want it to take up. I’ve never kept a bigger tree growing over winter but sometimes little guys and they usually don’t grow because they are right next to the cold windows, if they did grow though they would need some supplemental light or they would get leggy.

3 Likes

A lot of people keep their figs in smaller pots, around 15 gal to make it easier to move around. Once you get to the size that you intend to keep the fig in, you will need to root prune every 2-3 years to keep it from getting root bound. You’ll also need to prune it back every year to keep the leafy upper portion in line with the roots.

I’ve started a few in pots this year and plan on eventually getting them up to 15 gal pots, but no bigger.

1 Like

Frost= end of fig season 2018 here in Maine. Except now I have to prune, protect, and lug the potted ones down cellar once I prune those to fit in the door. It was a very good year for fruit from a nice range of varieties…

5 Likes

How hard of a frost was it for you? Looks like it ended the season for everything. We went down to 32 degrees couple of days ago but my fig tree just like everything else is looking nice n green.

There have been a bunch of nights at or just below freezing but most of my trees in warm microclimates only have their tops burned, I have not seen any frost yet. The quality has actually improved a little thanks to the increase in sun and wind, the trees under row cover in the orchard are ripening pretty quickly still but the others have slowed way down and look like they are about done.
Saved up for the last dehydrator load.

Barnisotte is great at the end of the season.

10 Likes

I’ve had 4 nights at 32 degrees so far. But my fig tree has no damage what so ever. I wonder if it’s in a microclimate too. It certainly is in a protected spot with a shed on one side and two fences on two sides.

1 Like