Figs 2022

New thread since the last one was getting a little bit long. I up potted several of my figs this morning from 10 to 20 gallons. Also have a pic of the Galicia Negra fig. Not sure I will keep this variety. It’s very sweet, but boring flavor profile.

15 Likes

5 Likes

Hi Phil,
Here are some flavor categories. Which do you prefer?

Flavor Example Cultivar
Blackberry Violette de Bordeaux
Caramel Osborne Prolific
Cherry Tia Penya
Fig Brown Turkey
Honey Janice-Kadota
Strawberry Black Jack
Sweet Thermalito
4 Likes

I have only tried Brown Turkey and Kadota from your list. I don’t like either of those that much. My guess would be that the cherry or strawberry category would be my preferance. Mountain figs has a good breakdown of flavors as well. Which do you like the best?

Like you, I don’t care for bland fruit. Other than that it would be hard to choose a favorite. In the list above I tried to use examples that are generally available. For my own preferences I would substitute “Ohra Tabahanosika” for Honey and “Howard’s Delight” for Strawberry.

2 Likes

Figs I picked today.

12 Likes

I’m still holding out on Galicia Negra, but I am tempted to graft a couple limbs over to another variety. It took longer than most varieties to fruit for me, maybe year 4? But last year it was large and very productive. I wasn’t wowed by the fruit though. Let’s see what’s up 2022

1 Like

Ohra Tabahanosika is a honey fig? I hadn’t heard that. But, like you say, that’s a less available variety. I should get my first taste of OT this year. And looking forward to it!

2 Likes

It is a smyrna, so I keep it near my caprifigs.

4 Likes

Nice looking trees!
My caprifigs are young and not hosting a colony yet. But wasps seem to blow in from somewhere. Hopefully they’ll hit all the Smyrnas!

1 Like

Agreed. I have actually thought about grafting over mine as well.

Cdd blanc, good fig, I remember it being even better though. I will have to see if it gets better with a bit more heat. I turned the heaters down in the greenhouse so it is getting in the mid to low 50s at night.

4 Likes

Looks underripe.

1 Like

Yeah, did seem a bit under ripe, but no sap when I picked it. It’s so hard to wait! Got more coming in a couple days.

2 Likes

I have to pick mine at that state of ripeness or animals get them

2 Likes

Escondido CA

7 Likes

Cape Charles VA.

2 Likes

So good! Picked 2 of these today. So far I think my best figs are bourjasotte gris and I258

8 Likes

2 great figs!

1 Like

Definitely two excellent varieties. The VdB main crop is my absolute favorite of the berry-flavored figs.

2 Likes