Figs 2022

Does VDB taste similar to RDB?

No, VdB is a very old standard going back centuries.

They are different, but I think both are excellent.

I agree, both are top tier. I prefer both to VDB/RDB. Have you tried Adriatic JH? If you like I-258, you will like AJH.

It has an excellent strawberry flavor. Have you tried Black Jack?

1 Like

I use to have the verte fig. That was pretty good, is JH similar to that?

Yes.

I like the VdB type figs, here the best one by far is Fort Mill Dark. It’s a good one for colder zones as it ripens earlier that VdB or any other black type fig I have. It’s a little different looking than many other black figs or wahtever you want to call those violet colored figs, like Valle Negra, Petitie Negra, Nero 600, etc.
The figs pictured in this thread all look under ripe to me. I much prefer them riper, one day can make so much difference.
This one is almost ready Fort Mill Dark

It’s different than other figs with violet colors, in that it is not as dark, even becoming yellow before turning dark. But has the same flavor as VdB only more intense, knocks your head off.

6 Likes

No, is it better than AJH? Same flavor profile?

Both are excellent, however I can clearly tell them apart. SV has a somewhat milder flavor, AJH is more sharp/intense, kind of like I-258’s intense flavor. I got rid of dozen varieties of figs, the only three that I kept (and just put in ground) are AJH, SV and Red Lebanese BV. I am done with potted figs, too much work for me in my climate and environment.

3 Likes

I started with tropical plants so for me figs are easy in containers. Some other truly tropical I eliminated as they have to be grown indoors during the winter I still keep a few. Like African Blue Basil. I like having fresh basil year round.

2 Likes

Drew my friend, you are retired and I am working full time. I also have close to seventy stone and pome fruit trees in ground, so I have to prioritize my limited time… If I lived in a place with warm winters, I’d be a fig collector like you! I actually envy you for how much fig varieties you have and are able to try…

@ahmad is your AJH in ground? I have mine in a container and it seems fairly late to ripen, so I wasn’t sure how well it would ripen in ground. My Battaglia Green seems very similar to AJH, but ripens even a little later.

You don’t have to say anymore. I have about 20 and it’s a lot of work. I should be in the garden right now. I’m drinking coffee typing to you. I envy your trees, I may need scion, oh yes we discussed this. I will be contacting you next year.
I know as the orchard and garden become integrated into our lives they need to change to fit our needs. I have been eliminating a lot of figs, and other plants as my youth becomes more of a memory I have to make adjustments as to what I can and cannot do anymore. I would gladly take youth and working if I could.
Thanks a lot for all the help, on everything.
I’m now thinking of breeding figs too, but still working on other breeding projects when I can.
I wanted to mention Fort Mill Dark as I think it’s a good one for short season locations, at least in containers. I wish we could figure out what fig it really is? Nothing out there matches.

3 Likes

When I lived in Wilmington, Delaware, it used to start ripening mid Sep, and the bulk of its crop ripening in October. For here, I am contemplating giving it a head start by putting a mini greenhouse around it in early April. It’s an experiment, we’ll see how it goes…

1 Like

Something like this:

BLUU Greenhouse, Portable Green House Indoor and Outdoor, Mini Greenhouse Kit with Anchors and Ropes, 3 Tiers pop up Greenhouse with 4 Shelves, L56.29’‘xW28.74’‘xH76.77’’ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099MM4PJ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_F452KJ05YWHDQ5GCRF3A

1 Like

@Drew51 I wish you long, healthy and active life my friend…

1 Like

Yes.

You seem to prefer figs in what I characterize as strawberry flavored. So I’m recommending it too you.

For my own tastes, I enjoy figs from all categories, and tend to think about which are the best in each category. I’d have a hard time deciding on a “best” over all cultivar.

2 Likes

Is Blackjack early, mid or late season ripening? If you can spare a couple of cuttings next year, I can give it a shot. Other late season figs that I am interested in trying one day are Craven’s Craving (or its Synonyms; BM/FP), CDD Roja/Gris/Blanc and Colonel Litman.

Black Jack is commercially available:

1 Like

In my location, Black Jack has figgy flavor which is common in other popular varieties like Brown Turkey. It also has mild berry flavor but nowhere near Panaché or BM or CdD types. It’s my base tree and the fruits get really big (likely due to wasps) and mild flavored, so I decided to keep it. I wouldn’t seek it if I didn’t have it already.

4 Likes