Figs 2022

Could it have been Mission sold as Black Jack?

Good question. I do believe it’s Black Jack, given it’s dwarf growing habit and fruits that I compared from local gardeners. Here are some examples

12 Likes

Preto, very good fig.

15 Likes

Couple good ones today

15 Likes

What variety are those?

I like the looks of the pancake ones! Awesome figs by the way! Congrats!

1 Like

RDB and bourjasotte gris.

3 Likes

That’s an odd looking RdB. Not as spherical or as dark skinned as the ones I get.

It was dropping down pretty hard when I picked it, probably got stretched a bit. Most of mine are pretty small and round. Color is pretty consistent in my growing conditions.

2 Likes

Cdd blanc, these seem to have a bit of a weak anchor to the tree once they start ripening. At least mine keep falling off before 100% ripe. This one was pretty good, not as good as other figs I have been eating. More like a fruit leather taste than berry flavor. Also a pic of some labritja figs that are getting close.

8 Likes

Labritja fig, very nice. Good size and good berry flavor.

8 Likes

Most say Black Jack is the dwarf version of Brown Turkey. So they have the same flavor. This verifies it too.

To be a dwarf Brown Turkey it would have to be a sport of B.T. which can be determined by comparing viable SSR sequences. I look forward to sequencing them after a new set of markers has been determined: geneticdistance.org

Black Jack and Brown Turkey have been stated many times. @californicus just verified again.

Sure, will be happy to hear the genetic testing results. I do not understand what those SSR means. Too scientific to me.

There is an explanation in the Introduction of this article: Re-evaluation of NCGR Davis Ficus carica and palmata SSR profiles

Here is Condit’s description of Brown Turkey.

1 Like

I had a Brown Turkey for one season before I pulled it out. I did taste the fruit and it was definitely different than Black Jack but it is close with figgy flavor. I agree with the description above on two counts

1. Breba has interesting colors but not worth eating. Actually, I haven’t found a breba on any fig that’s worth eating. I hear dessert king brebas are good. I grafted it last year but no fruits yet

2. The main crop quality is fair. Less sweet than Black Jack but has a slightly more complex flavor with caramel notes. I can see why it has commercial potential

1 Like

In my opinion, due to parentage of D’or (Archipel).

1 Like

First I258 in a while. This might be my favorite fig. It’s always so good!

9 Likes

I tend to agree with you, but I have not tried Black Madeira, Preto and CC, so might be that those are better. Any plans to put it in ground (inside the GH) so that you get a good crop?

I have thought about putting it in ground, but I get quite a few figs as is, just the watering is a pain in the butt when they are in pots. I like Preto a lot as well, but that plant definitely takes longer to ripen figs. Here a pic of the I258 today, I trimmed it about 2 months ago and new growth is really shooting out now.

6 Likes