Figs, figs, everywhere!

Hi. I’m really new to figs. Currently looking like I may get a smith and I’m so excited. I am also bidding on a Martinenca Rimada. I have lost a few because I’m not constantly watching it and I really have no idea what these figs go for. I’m slowly learning. How good is the Martinenca Rimada? Is it a must have?

Well, there’s also a CdD Rimada I’d like to bid for as well. Worth it? I don’t have any CdD types yet. Is this significantly different/better than Panache? CdD Blanc is on my top 5 wish list. Should I just hold out for one of those?

Prices are highest at this time of year because supply is low and demand from new growers is high. Late winter into spring is usually the best time to buy plants because there are lots available…

You should really join up at your local CRFG, I know I would have if I lived over there.

1 Like

Thanks @hoosierbanana that makes sense.

What is that group you mentioned? Where do I find the CRFG? And what does that stand for?

California Rare Fruit Growers, crfg.org . They have scion swaps and tastings and I’m sure other things too.

Sounds awesome. I’ll check it out for sure. Thanks again!

I have posted these in my original post where I started some of these from cuttings.

Just saw this post and posting in this one too. My figs are loaded with figs, here are some pictures taken on 07-22-2018

20180720_19594320180720_19595620180720_19543720180720_19593320180720_19540320180720_19591820180720_19541920180720_19524920180720_19551120180720_195112

6 Likes

It’s supposedly the best stripped fig, very rich and flavorful. A lot of people consider it a must have.

Hi! I wish I knew. I haven’t ever tried one but have been told by quite a few people that it’s a great one. It’s on my top 10 list of must haves. Hopefully I’ll win the bid! :slight_smile: so don’t bid against me on this one. :joy:

1 Like

I am not interested in that fig tree right now anyway. Chances are a friend of mine will let me have a fig off his or her tree before I decide that I want it, LOL. There are so many fig tree varieties out there that are great!

I have this Panache that is loaded with figs but I have no idea how long it takes for the fruit to ripen. Any guess on how long is left?

Also, I have a few spots available in the yard. I am assuming I should have this in the area with the most sun?

7 Likes

Those are fairly big, they should ripen in a couple weeks to a month. Wait till they droop, and leave them on a few days more. The riper the better.

1 Like

Picking some breba to kick off the season, Improved Celeste(pictured), Bornholm, Large Negronne (pictured) and a few more ripening with many main crop figs waiting…

6 Likes

So. As I have stated, I am really new to figs. I got a few varieties right away because they were recommended by Harvey C. I had black Tuscan, which unfortunately burned up with our house :frowning: ) black Madeira and Genovese Nero. I since learned that I had GN AF. I had no idea of the heated debate about the different GN’s. Lol.

My question is, which has better flavor? From what I have read, it sounds like GN AF, which I have.

Side note, I keep being outbid on figbid. I’ll figure this out at some point. In the meantime, I’m having a blast learning about and hunting down these figs!!!

Genovese Nero AF is supposedly better, yet it sounds like they may be of equal quality too.

Certainly 2 different fig tree varieties.

Rob’s Genovese Nero by appearance of figs, size of figs, and by leaves appears to be Texas Blue Giant, yet the figs are way better than Texas Blue Giant.

You probably want to learn to identify varieties by leaf if you plan on spending lots of money… There are many synonyms going around, as well as mislabeled or fictitious varieties. The high prices attracted some ne’er-do-wells who chased off most of the experienced growers, so you are mostly on your own when it comes to verifying you have the right thing, and now also if the right thing even exists.

Not entirely sure what you are bidding on, but one person who was selling MR on figbid is the same who traded me a cutting from a Smyrna seedling as Yellow Neches a few years ago, that was fun to waste 3 years… There is this rumor that because a seller is popular on a forum they are 100% legit because if they were not, someone would say something, well they started that rumor and now suckers buy it and repeat it. The same suckers won’t be around next year when judgement day comes and what will they do anyway; contradict themselves and make the group turn on them? Be cautious of people using social influence to get your money rather than pictures and objective descriptions from their own experiences.

GN AF is way better than Rob’s. Robs was a mix up and probably is blue giant. Some say I-258 and GN AF are the same plant.

Thank you for the information. I’ll start researching this part. I’ve tried to only bid from active people that I recognized from the different forums but I’ll start learning the leaf patterns as you suggest. I’d really be upset to waste years on something that wasn’t the fig I believed I was getting.

Instead of buying plants from strangers, why not seek out fig growers
in your area. There are plenty of them, and most of them will help you
get started, usually for free.

1 Like

There are some that insist that GNAF and 285 ARE the same. If that’s
the case, why not stop calling it GNAF and just call it what you insist
that it is, I 258. But that would make too much sense, and also bruise
a lot of egos and wallets. Sometimes FIG people are just TOO much.

3 Likes

Yes more than once I obtained a fig by another name I already had. That sucked! Yes it’s a mess. Both GN and 258 are expensive. I traded for GN and others. I won’t pay the high prices. Luckily I found out they are the same before I obtained both.