Finally a Nadia fruit report!

I just sold my house to buy an orchard of Nadia trees… Based on your glowing endorsement! Thanks, gotta go set up my tent now!

11 Likes

Thank you very much, Fruitnut for saying this. I’ve read GW and GF for several years. I have never seen such a hype on something no one had ever eaten ( until you did).

Like you pointed out, there are other fruits that would and could be even better that no one talks about. Maybe because so many people bought into the hype and bought the tree so they wish their did not waste their money on it,

I hope the fruit is as good as advertised but what a hype.

You did the right thing… and you have Fruitnut to thank :wink:

3 Likes

Don’t tell me it’s another Ponte Tressa.

I have one Nadia, one Menthly plum, and two van cherries in my back yard. The van cherries are pretty close to the Nadia.

The Nadia was planted this year. But, I thought they had to flower at the same time to pollinate?

The other fruit trees don’t get the attention because they don’t look like they grow big cherries.

It works well if the Nadia and sweet cherry bloom at the same time to hand pollinate them.
First, bag the branch of Nadia so no stray pollens enter then wait until the sweet cherry to bloom then hand pollinate the Nadia flowers then bag it again until the petals fall and then remove the bag. If the sweet cherry flowers bloom first then you can collect the pollens with a small paint brush and store them in a sandwich ziplock bag and freeze them. You then wait until the Nadia blooms then thaw the sweet cherry pollens on the counter then hand pollinate the Nadia flowers.

Tony

1 Like

fruitnut several years I want to have my garden cherry selah .
can you tell me how this cherry behaves in its warm climate? it produces many cherries? you know if you need many hours of cold?

Selah hasn’t produced very well for me. But then I haven’t found the secret formula to make them produce in a greenhouse. I keep it because it’s so big, pretty, firm, and tasty.

I don’t know how much chilling it needs but is probably like most, 500-700 hrs. In WA state it’s moderately productive and self fertile.

1 Like

What rootstock is your Selah on?

DWN dwarf cherry, Newroot 1 or whatever they call it now. I like it better than G5.

I have that root under Craig’s Crimson. What is it you like better?

DWN’s Z Dwarf is my favorite. Giesla 5 craps out and quits growing. This in my greenhouse.

It’s very nice weather down there but why your fruit trees have to be in the green house all the time?

We had two damaging freezes this spring, late Febr and late March, bloom started late January. That took out all my outdoor stone fruit that wasn’t protected. That’s four yrs running of the same thing. I’ve had some freeze damage nearly every spring since 1971.

In addition we’ve already had two hail storms this spring. We average five a yr.

Those are the major reasons for a greenhouse.

2 Likes

No place is perfect. Thank you Steve.

Steve, does the hail not damage the greenhouse?

Yes with normal 6 mil greenhouse poly there will be hail big enough to puncture every couple yrs. For several yrs I went with shade-cloth/hail-netting over that for hail protection. Now I have woven poly. It’s much toughter and would withstand any hail that’s likely here.

I have hail netting over the stone fruit I saved outside and over my melons.

Another Nadia fell off soft ripe today. So I took pictures compared to some other fruits on hand. It’s probably about one month later than the apricots pictured. The apricots are ones I protected from freezes outside.

So this fruit tested 23.5 brix, about like the earlier one. The pit was way more plum like than sweet cherry. The pattern of these interspecific crosses, even 50/50 like Nadia, seems to be that they largely take on the characteristics of one parent or the other. In Nadia’s case the tree, blossoms, and fruit are all much more plum like than cherry.

I didn’t particularly like the taste of this fruit. It tasted sweet but also tart. The tartness was more throughout than at skin or pit like Flavorella and Flavor Supreme. If it tastes like a cherry I can’t detect it.

In first and second pictures below from left to right: Nadia, Robada, Orangered, and Dapple Supreme.

These show the cut Nadia fruit and the pit of Nadia, flattened vs sweet cherry, round.

7 Likes

Turd alert! We’ve all been had. I’ll be interested in what others report back on flavor/etc.

How is Dapple Supreme? I’m tempted to add that.

1 Like