Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

Vice versa, not all bad for me either. I bought a Toro blueberry plant. I killed mine, and it’s one I really like. The new plant looks great. Well developed, no complaints! It even has fruit! I removed it though to establish plant. I have three other blueberries with ton’s of flowers, and some young plants with some too.

Here is my Nadia…its looked like this for maybe 10 days…

1 Like

I think we got ours around the same time and mine is very slow to get a move on. my dapple dandy planted on the same day seems a week ahead.the next two days are in the 80’s so I think she will be ok and catch up.I will put up some pics in the a.m.

If it doesn’t make it, i’ll take some pics of the roots. I know a couple trees didn’t have much for roots and one of them had a hole very low on the trunk…not sure which tree. The Summer Silk, Flavor Supreme and Sauzee King are all actively growing…and have several shoots…but 2 turds out of 5 isn’t very good success rate…all trees have had the same treatment. Being such a late order (when it was sent/i made the order in early Jan) maybe mine had been sitting forever or i just got the leftover garbage :slight_smile:

[quote=“warmwxrules, post:1128, topic:197, full:true”]
Here is my Nadia…its looked like this for maybe 10 days…

Looks like it was pruned with some dull pruners.

I made another post about Nadia fruit. It’s probably my last for this yr. It will be interesting if anyone else can manage a harvest.

Yup…and if it doesn’t grow its going to be firewood.

Haha. I doubt it. As much as we all rag on it for being a hype machine we are all still curious if it’s worth a sh!t.

1 Like

thanks Gary, that keeps me hopeful!

1 Like

actually, now that I’ve read fruitnut’s Nadia report, maybe I’ll wait. I am not a huge fan of run-of-the-mill plums and that might just be what Nadia is.

2 Likes

Steve is a great guy, probably my favorite person here actually. But he grew Arctic Glo, and pulled the tree and Arctic Glo is the best nectarine I ever tasted in my life hands down, was/is incredible! So I most definitely will have to taste Nadia before I decide.

6 Likes

Haha.

1 Like

I added Arctic Glo based on your experience with it. I hope its a good one. Putting on a lot of lush new growth the past few days. Should have a crop on it next year.

With Nadia i was hoping for sweet cherry in the flavor…it sounds like as of right now, that isn’t the case. So that is kind of a downer for me…the sugar/sweet/brix…tree ripened should have plenty of sugar for the avg person.

1 Like

I want to try Arctic Jay too, it is also an acid fruit, but it has lower acid than Glo. So far Indian Free is the most acidic stone fruit I tasted. For me it is awesome.
My main point of the previous post, is that with different conditions, you have different flavors.
To tell the truth so far Nadia sounds perfect to me. Although I may end up top working it, who knows? But a brix of 24 with some tartness throughout, I died and went to heaven! Let’s see what Brady says about it. We both like brambles, so appears our taste buds are more aligned.

1 Like

Drew I loved the sweet tart Columbia Star blackberries this yr. The best ones where those very ripe and half dried out while still stuck on the vine. Some of those were very rich in flavor. So there’s sweet/tart and then there’s sweet/tart with rich flavor. Nadia had no richness of flavor to my taste buds.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s not good. I agree the richness sweet or tart makes or breaks a fruit. On Columbia Star, the first year I didn’t really care for them. See how they are this year. Here with humidity it’s hard to let berries get too ripe, they actually start getting moldy. SWD just speeds it along too. Well at least early berries are free from it.
It seems like the good pluots, and even plums are hard to grow here, So Nadia not being good is a bummer. The last few winters have been very odd, cold, late frosts etc. If we ever get back to normal maybe I’ll have better luck with plums and pluots.

Count me in as a person that likes acidity on top of sweetness. But as Steven said it has to have complexity in flavor as well.

My buddy just tried a 25 brix Nadia. He said he could taste the sweet cherry. It was better than the previous two but still just a plum to me.

1 Like

do feel that future fruit once the plant matures will taste different?