Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

Yeah, that’s not good. I agree the richness sweet or tart makes or breaks a fruit. On Columbia Star, the first year I didn’t really care for them. See how they are this year. Here with humidity it’s hard to let berries get too ripe, they actually start getting moldy. SWD just speeds it along too. Well at least early berries are free from it.
It seems like the good pluots, and even plums are hard to grow here, So Nadia not being good is a bummer. The last few winters have been very odd, cold, late frosts etc. If we ever get back to normal maybe I’ll have better luck with plums and pluots.

Count me in as a person that likes acidity on top of sweetness. But as Steven said it has to have complexity in flavor as well.

My buddy just tried a 25 brix Nadia. He said he could taste the sweet cherry. It was better than the previous two but still just a plum to me.

1 Like

do feel that future fruit once the plant matures will taste different?

And a flicker of hope has appeared.

1 Like

These fruit are off a potted tree in my greenhouse. I’ve got another tree planted in ground both greenhouse and outside. Maybe I’ll like that fruit better.

There will be differences in the fruit and differences in opinions about the fruit. That’s all I’m sure about.

1 Like

The hype machine lives! This is a list of the highest viewed threads ever in the history of growingfruit.org

No 1? Come on now…

2 Likes

I’m adding one more post speedster.This is a picture of a Nadia fruit today.There are three about this big,like a Cherry.I hope they get larger.In fairness to the size though,some Flavor King’s nearby are about the same,but the Nadia’s are changing color. Brady

9 Likes

How is your Flavor King doing? set a lot of fruit could you post more pictures later Brad. Thank you.

I’ll have this year more than 200 fruits in my flavor king, is one of my favorite plum when the fruit takes a few days, the only downside of this variety is that it can not take a long time in the refrigerator, you wrinkles usually appear in petiole area.

my tree sold to me as pluot, without specifying the variety (perhaps hid his name not pay the copyright), I had to wait three years to see the first fruits and really know that choice was.

2 Likes

Haha. How many days?

5 Likes

So my Nadia has sat and sat and sat and sat as everything around it grew… today i looked at it and it may…may be pushing a leaf.

1 Like

Good maybe it will break out and grow well. I wonder if your roots got to dry when it was at Raintree. Sounds like it might make a come back. Mine has four inches of growth on it. The branches are so skinny!

Mine looks like complete crap (no other way to put it), but if it grows…good. I had a Raspberry Red that the top failed (from Raintree)…well about 3 or 4 sprouts just a hair above the graft sprouted and grew out…so all was good. I don’t mind either because i prefer very low branching on my container trees.

This is my Nadia Replacement.

4 Likes

That looks like it will bud out. It’s probably growing roots first because something caused the root ball to die back.

Makes sense. I’m glad i just left it. Hopefully once it gets some green it can start to build up enough energy to start growing some shoots. Doubt there is enough time for fruit next year… but oh well.

There’s plenty of time. It’s not even summer yet.

True…i get growth on some of my apricots even into late Sept/early Oct…although most/all of that thin stuff dies back. I still have a solid 90 days of growing. \

Summer goes quick. Before you know it the snow will be here :santa:

2 Likes

So a month+ later and its finally sending shoots out all over. I may have leaves soon. Wow…i’ve never had a tree take this long to get itself going.