Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid

I’m sorry weatherman. Blame us, we put you up to it with all this mania. Hopefully you’ll have a big crop soon and it won’t matter if a few get picked before their time.

3 Likes

You should try those motion activated sprinklers. I have a couple of them and they keep my kids away! They work pretty well.

2 Likes

Lizzy, I bought it last year and put it in a 20 gallon pot. It has been very vigorous and wants to grow straight up. One thing you would have going for you is being on the west coast your chill hours are more effective. I have many hours of warm, wet weather in between the cold fronts. If you were on the Gulf Coast and normally only got 450 hours then it would be a deal breaker. I was once told that I needed to add 200 hours on California chill hours due to the loss of chill hours due to warm humid days that we receive. I still think you would have a chance of getting enough chill hours, but it would be close.
Over the last 7 years I have gotten between 450 and +900 hours. I average about 550.

1 Like

So is there any hope of a report on a ripe Nadia this year now?

Fruitnut has a report.

I’ll add to this Finally a Nadia fruit report! - #51 by fruitnut when more fruit is ripe.

Hey now you will be able to sleep once the cutting cools down. You were under lots of pressure. I’m sure your job will go better too. Now you can think more about work. Well I guess you can officially say it’s out of the bag! What a fruit Nadia is!

4 Likes

The pressure is still on. Now I have to take care of my Flavor Top Nectarines that I hand-pollinated during the blooming season with Sweet Bagel peach pollen, and my F1 Nonpareil almonds that I hand Pollinated them with peach x almond pollen.

1 Like

Only us know your Nadia fruit there, your neighbors might not know it.

1 Like

Why your Nadia fruit look so shiny compare with Fruitnut’s Nadia ?

It wasn’t fully ripe yet.

1 Like

Yes, if that fell off, i wouldn’t even taste it it is so under ripe. I myself would have left it. I would rather not have it if not ripe. I would take my chances, label it as poisonous or something.

2 Likes

My Nadia still has no leaves. It has maybe an 1/8 inch of green slipping out in a few spots. Not dead yet, but its not looking good. Another tree (a nectarine) that they sent me i believe is dead…its sending shoots up from the rootstock…

Raintree is getting worse and worse. Plants look rough the last few times I ordered. I bought a Weeping Santa Rosa and it never grew out. This year they sent a replacement and the same thing. Except it threw one branch just above the rootstock. So I cut off the old central leader and now have a seedling size tree. It may not survive the winter. Right now the branch is 1 inch long! If it passes I’m going to order one from bay Laurel, I plan to try and avoid Raintree.

Drew, I wish I could send the WSR a local nursery had on sale here. $24 and 7 feet tall! I almost bit but bought the Nadia from Raintree instead. :smile:

The Speckled Egg they sent last year that was dead, they sent a new one this year…which is dead… Not sure what is going on. The Nadia is just sitting there. I think its alive…it doesn’t have the green crusty looking leaves yet…but they just aren’t moving…and its been very warm now for over a week and its now very humid… everything else is pushing new growth like crazy.

The Nadia Raintree sent me was very healthy. It’s growing wonderfully. I grafted plum and apricot to it. I also took a piece of the Nadia and grafted it to flavor queen pluot and black gold cherry just to see if it would grow.

Inconsistent, sending poor specimens instead of culling them out, along with good ones. Oh well Pot luck, I won’t do business with them if I can avoid it.
Here’s my 30 dollar Weeping Santa Rosa from Raintree!

Winter could take it, I will mulch it heavy, at least this way if it stays alive? I can at least grow it as a central leader till about 7 feet and start it’s downward path by not supporting above 7 feet and heading it too. I could head it a couple times to create a number of cascading scaffolds.

It didn’t so I struck out this year with Nadia.

It’s not been all good for me with Raintree. Nadia, Emerald Beaut, a combo pluot, Black Gold and Spice Zee have all been excellent. But the combo asian pear they sent last year died and was replaced this year with a very nice healthy combo tree. Also a combo cherry they sent last year was very poorly developed and out of balance. It’s done quite poorly. I top worked the Glacier variety that was dominating the tree and replaced it with Sweetheart. The combo apple tree I was sent is healthy but poorly structured.

One thing I’m certain not to do is purchase any more combo trees. They are just too risky and usually cost $50+ per tree. Now that I havr a couple years of grafting success I’ll just create my own combo trees. Although admittedly, I would like to have the other combo pluot with Geo Pride and splash.

1 Like