Finally done grafting

If I document the projects I’ll take before and after pictures. They chewed on our Strawberry Parfait that is multi-grafted with other early ripening varieties. They also got the Braeburn. SP I may bridge graft on. Braeburn is younger, and the damage worse, so I plan to just use the root system and re-graft it. Also grafting more of both varieties in the nursery so there is a plan b.

Edited to add they were my breeding rams, so not the best eating. Then too, I like and value them. Two were killed by a car in front of our place recently. Thankfully I can keep replacements from the abundance of lambs this year. Here is a post with some pictures at another location about the lambs this year…for anyone interested.

2 Likes

Beautiful grafting work, Jolene. Husband and you.

Dax

1 Like

Thanks Dax!

1 Like

So my guys just conquered the jungle that was the orchard and mowed today. I thought for anyone interested I’d show what the bridge grafted Gala from the top of the thread looks like now.
Some sheep actually peeled bark on the grafted in portions of the trunk last year, but those have completely healed in already. If you zoom in they were high on the long scions. It is still the biggest of the three Gala trees and is close to picking time here.
These are the long ones.

This is moving to the right around the tree and shows where there is still a gap between the scions.

And these are the short ones moving further right around the trunk.

The tree from the original perspective at a distance.

25 Likes

Great job. Thanks for posting.

2 Likes

Looks great!

Super impressive. Those are the best illustration I’ve seen of successful bridge grafting. May I use those pictures if I find myself assisting a grafting class again?

4 Likes

Of course you can! I just think it’s helpful to know it can work. :smile: :sunny:

3 Likes

I was actually wondering the other day about that bridge graft. Thanks for the follow up!

1 Like

You’re certainly more then welcome!

1 Like

Here is a picture of the apple orchard the morning after mowing.
The Bridge Grafted tree is barely visible furthest to the left.
The trees have grown!

11 Likes

Beautiful orchard. That’s quite a contrast to my hillside forest clearing.

2 Likes

But the fruit from your trees is probably just as sweet and appreciated. :slight_smile:
We do things on a larger scale because we have a large family. More eaters… and more helpers too.
When we are done raising this crew we will probably want a much smaller place and less to maintain. We will let one of our children live here and raise a family.
Believe me buckets of cukes are just another thing to feel bad about not having time to put up…so beyond what you need or can use its just another burden.

4 Likes

That is one beutiful home orchard. How many trees? Do you have any deer that jump that fence? Is the height of the trees not a problem for you?

Honestly, really impressive, great job!

1 Like

45 apples on mostly m111. A few trees with 5 or more varieties.

The stone fruit and pears are about as large, but there are empty spaces that need to be filled.

Persimmons are sad. When work boomed hubby and I didnt keep up with it, and children dont figure in all factors or notice how things are doing. Next year we plan to replant rootstock and hopefully eventually have a lot of producing trees.
Gotta prioritize. Got a new place to pay for. Maybe if we can find some good tree service people we can invest more time at home.

Thanks @growjimgrow
No deer in ours…they like our neighbors place better. We have dogs.
We wanted big standard trees. We have lots of climbers at picking time.

2 Likes

Sorry Jolene hard to understand. Xxoo mrsg

1 Like

If you mean my message lacked flow I agree.
We are super busy, behind with work and preparing for a funeral. My youngest sister in law died unexpectedly this month.
Paid leave is not an option when you are running a business…we just have to keep going a day at a time.

1 Like

Our very deepest sympathies go out to you and all your family.

4 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

So sorry JoLene❤️