Finally done grafting

Thanks Matt.
The rootstocks planted last year really took off this year! If all the shoots have roots, I might have close to a hundred new rootstocks.
My idea is to make custom multi grafted trees, so folks that only have room for one tree can have pollination issues covered, enjoy more varieties, and spread out the harvest. I’m also thinking about combining late bloomers on one tree, for folks in frost plagued areas.
I have four standard frankentrees in the orchard. One with ten other varieties on it, the others with eight, six, and five, beside the main variety of the tree.
I’m hoping to have a lot of less common Apple varieties for people to both taste, and choose from, for their custom creations.

So anyhow, I’m working that direction, and having fun with it. I have rootstocks in several sizes, and about 100 varieties. I also have quite a few trees for sale this year, all single variety of course.

8 Likes

You might have found an opening in the market for more than the usual multi-grafted tree. Great idea.

1 Like

That’s a good idea. Would you ship your trees out of state? You could find that forum members could be your customers, too.

Good luck with you business.

2 Likes

Thanks for the good wishes Mamuang.
I haven’t really thought much about shipping trees. Though I would be happy to send trees to the good folks on this forum, I always assumed they’d rather graft their own.
I have really found the wealth of information here wonderful. I’m doing things I never imagined before.

Here are pictures of the crab apple grafted over to Winesap (the tree owners favorite).

Here is a close up of a graft. Fun stuff in my beginner’s opinion. :slight_smile:

Here’s what it looked like before the grafts grew.

2 Likes

Jolene,
You definitely have green thumbs. Everything you grow, grow like gangbuster. I’d like to say grow like weeds. But even your weeds grow so well, too. :smile:

Many of us do not have the many varieties you grow. The idea of having a multi grafted trees with interesting varieties is attractive esp.to those having limited space or those who do not graft.

@joleneakamama, you might have seen my post about a couple apple trees that were damaged by rabbits. One has about 40% girdling and the other is about 90%. I am going to try bridge grafting both of them, and saw your work on your Gala that was damaged by goats about three years ago. Could you give us an update on the tree? Did it survive and do well the following years? Thanks.

Short answer, the tree is thriving, and the bridged scions are huge now. I’ll try and add pictures soon. Sadly, I need to do another this year…at least i have a big fridge for the long scions. Maybe I will document the project.

4 Likes

Thanks. Yes, please include some new pics, that would be interesting to see.

Regarding the newer “project”, was this another goat issue?

1 Like

It was sheep in cattle pannel pens that put their heads through, and moved the temporary circular pen close enough to bark the tree. Kinda my fault, as we were tying to graze the grass low, and the tree was actually “greener grass.”

1 Like

Oops, hope the damage wasn’t too bad. I’m surprised sheep would do that, as opposed to goats. What tree did they get to? Are y’all having “lamb chops” anytime soon?

If I document the projects I’ll take before and after pictures. They chewed on our Strawberry Parfait that is multi-grafted with other early ripening varieties. They also got the Braeburn. SP I may bridge graft on. Braeburn is younger, and the damage worse, so I plan to just use the root system and re-graft it. Also grafting more of both varieties in the nursery so there is a plan b.

Edited to add they were my breeding rams, so not the best eating. Then too, I like and value them. Two were killed by a car in front of our place recently. Thankfully I can keep replacements from the abundance of lambs this year. Here is a post with some pictures at another location about the lambs this year…for anyone interested.

2 Likes

Beautiful grafting work, Jolene. Husband and you.

Dax

1 Like

Thanks Dax!

1 Like

So my guys just conquered the jungle that was the orchard and mowed today. I thought for anyone interested I’d show what the bridge grafted Gala from the top of the thread looks like now.
Some sheep actually peeled bark on the grafted in portions of the trunk last year, but those have completely healed in already. If you zoom in they were high on the long scions. It is still the biggest of the three Gala trees and is close to picking time here.
These are the long ones.

This is moving to the right around the tree and shows where there is still a gap between the scions.

And these are the short ones moving further right around the trunk.

The tree from the original perspective at a distance.

25 Likes

Great job. Thanks for posting.

2 Likes

Looks great!

Super impressive. Those are the best illustration I’ve seen of successful bridge grafting. May I use those pictures if I find myself assisting a grafting class again?

4 Likes

Of course you can! I just think it’s helpful to know it can work. :smile: :sunny:

3 Likes

I was actually wondering the other day about that bridge graft. Thanks for the follow up!

1 Like

You’re certainly more then welcome!

1 Like