First Enterprise apple

This was my first Enterprise apple and it was the only one on the tree. After seeing pictures of this apple posted by others I was expecting a more red skin. This being the first and only one it got my most secure package of synthetic screening. It dropped inside the bag today. I was expecting a hard unripe apple but it was very sweet with a little tougher skin than many other varieties. If I can get it to produce more apples it will fill in a spot before my Pink Lady starts to ripen. The taste wasn’t complex but it was sweet and pleasant to eat. Special thanks to @mrsg47 for the scions.

19 Likes

I suppose the tough skin equates to the ‘pest resistance’.
And makes the new cross with Honeycrisp more grower friendly.

2 Likes

I guess your right. If I had more of the fruit I would have left some without bags to test the bug resistance.

1 Like

Good to hear the flavor is good. My Enterprise didn’t bear fruit this year although it did flower some. Hopefully, I will get some fruit next year.

-mroot

2 Likes

Does your Enterprise tree get a lot of scab? I thought they were scab resistant, but my Enterprise has 75% rot of apples with obvious scab on the leaves for two years now. I’m starting to think I have a scab problem because the Jonafree apples also have a lot of scab. This is assuming Stark Bro. sent me the correct trees because they are not proving to be reliable so far. My Enterprise doesn’t really look like that, so maybe it is something else.

3 Likes

My tree hasn’t fruited yet but I can compare the leaves of the enterprise to the other trees I have under my conditions. Enterprise leaves are free of scab where my Ashmead’s Kernel gets some scab and some scab is on Roxbury Russet. My Winecrisp is free of scab which is what I would expect since it’s scab resistant as well. My neighbor’s Golden Delicious also has scab under the same conditions.

Enterprise is also free of cedar apple rust while Winecrisp gets some. All in all the enterprise leaves are the cleanest leaves in my orchard and enterprise is my best growing tree.

5 Likes

I think that Enterprise typically gets more red than this one. My trees are still small but I haven’t noticed any scab issues yet.

4 Likes

No CAR on E at my location.

4 Likes

I have two trees with Enterprise grafted in and the one with a Bud9 interstem is the one that fruited first. The other one is on an unknown root and it is growing rapidly. I have pulled all the limbs down so they might bloom heavier next year.

4 Likes

I’ve found that they store pretty well, and get a much more complex tastes after storage. They continue to reliably produce for me, though this year a combination of raccoons and summer rots greatly reduced my harvest. First year the summer rots have hit.

The color for mine is very dependent on how much sun they get. Those in full sun get a dark red. Those that are shaded or even partly shaded are combinations of dark reds, light reds, and greens in the heavily shaded (like under a leaf) areas.

5 Likes

Jim it is Enterprise, as I had no grafted trees in my orchard. The only other red apples I were Jonagold and Calville Blanc. I had some of my Enterprise apples not turn all deep red. Some were lighter. The tough skin is the give away!

5 Likes

I got my first last year - maybe a couple dozen still hanging this year. Looks like I better go check for ripeness - seems early to me here in SE Michigan.

2 Likes

Most of my apples and pears ripen early at my location so it probably isn’t a good ripening comparison.

1 Like

Enterprise is red as a fire engine in the heat of Southern California.

11 Likes

I was wondering how long it took for people’s enterprise to bear and what rootstock your tree is on?

-mroot

3 Likes

Nice looking apple. I hope going forward some of my Enterprise is that pretty. Enterprise is good tasting apple and I plan to have two trees growing in my orchard.

1 Like

Hi, my Enterprise was very slow growing and producing. It was on old M (something) semi-dwarf rootstock from Raintree. Took ten years to fruit. The taste of the apple is unmistakably all apple! It is very good. Worth the wait too.

6 Likes

Just a little status report…The date is 30SEP19 here in SE Mich. Seeds on Enterprise are brown, seems like it is still under-ripe to my taste - my first real harvest off my young tree - last year I got one apple, maybe 2 dozen this year.

4 Likes

This is my Enterprise, picked September 28. It was good and blemish free but could have used a few more days on the tree.

The tree had about 50 apples on it after thinning but so many got the rot circles and dropped.

I need to up my apple game and at this point am willing to use a pesticide. I had been organic up to now.
Is it possible for the rot that gets stone fruit to ruin apples too?

5 Likes

Do you have any pictures of the rot spots? It might help people identify the rot and give advice on how to deal with it. Also cutting the apple open and looking at the rot is useful in identification. But it sounds like you probably will need to spray a fungicide or bag your apples in the future.

-mroot

1 Like