First harvest of 2019

Fresh fruit in April. I can’t imagine. Looks wonderful!

2 Likes

Does it take leather gloves to wrap the Obsidian?bb

2 Likes

Pretty

1 Like

Yes it takes really good gloves to do anything to Obsidian. But it’s the one blackberry that has survived my reductions in force and that includes Marionberry. For a pot it’s the best in terms of taste and production.

I now also have Columbia Star in the same container. So next yr the harvest will be spread out even more.

I’d like to try PR Freedom but bought PR 45 because the local nursery had it in stock. My Black Diamond may get replaced by Marionberry if it, BD, doesn’t taste better this yr. That nursery is also carrying Marionberry.

1 Like

My first ripe plum/pluot. This one was slightly under ripe and purposely picked at this stage. Late cold weather eliminated most of my stone fruit but I do have a small amount remaining. Spring Satin is a great way to kick off the season. Next up will probably be Carolina Red June apple.

11 Likes

I would have picked it too! :heart:

3 Likes

I see you live down south in Alabama? I guess May you got fruit! Lucky. In WA, we just have little things still. I expect wild strawberries to be ripe 1st.

1 Like

I was surprised last year that SS ripen this early. This year confirmed the ripening time. Cold weather gets most of my plums including this year. As of now I haven’t had any disease on it.

1 Like

How great! I planted a multigraft plum,so this is 1st year to bear anything. We shall see. I also have a few 1st cherries to be ready soon. I do not expect the blossoms on the newly planted persimmon to persist as everybody says they drop, but I am happy to have my trees in my small garden. My neighbors are mostly poor, and they love looking at the yard. I have inspired some apartment neighbors to do a shared garden…and my cat visited it today.

2 Likes

I’ve got some on 5 trees with that color too. But I must say at this stage they’re no where near ripe

1 Like

If not fall off, and will be November harvest, I counted just over 50 persimmon buds…

1 Like

Ate my first apricots today — a couple of Apache from a last year graft. Pretty decent for mid May.

Also some mulberry.

14 Likes

Stan,

What are your best tasting yellow and white cots? Top three ?

Tony

4 Likes

I do plan on asking you again in late July! :smiley:

1 Like

This spring, I grafted 25 more apricot varieties, so this goal post keeps moving. :wink:

3 Likes

Nice!

I ate my first blueberry of the year yesterday, Misty. Pretty tasty, but not as good or as early as my potted Sharpblues that I had to leave behind when I moved this year. I can’t wait to have the space to bring them home, they start bearing in February…

2 Likes

Picked my first Carolina Red June apple today and looks like a couple more will be ready soon. They are ripening considerably earlier this year. It was small but my best tasting apple this year. Yes it can be the best as of now if it is the only one that has ripened.

4 Likes

How did your Carolina Red June’s do? I have been looking for an early apple to put in my orchard. So many early apples are just too soft and last a few days at best before turning to mush.